The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Situated in the centre of the community the church lies beside the A5 34km south east of Bangor, 105 km north west of Shrewsbury and 25km south of Conwy.
AA Route Planner
OS Map 115
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church was built in 1872 – 3 to replace the old church of St Michael which was too small to contain the number of visitors and growing parish. The architects were Paley & Austin of Lancaster who designed the building in the Transitional style between Romanesque and Early English. O Gethin D Jones was the contractor from Penmachno who built it at a cost of £5,00 with the land and some of the building stone being given by Lord Willoughby De Eresby of Gwyndir Castle
Buildings of Wales –Gwynedd 2009
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This is a large church of cruciform plan, with a monumental crossing tower and organ chamber to the south, the church was built from rubble stone with red sandstone dressing brought from the Ancaster estate quarries in Lincolnshire. The roofs are steeply pitched with small slates and the tower has a clock stage added beneath a shallow pyramidal tiled roof hiden when viewed from ground level. At the west end of the church a most sympathetic church hall has been added, linked to the porch. It was built in 1978 by George Hedges – prism shaped so its walls are the roof and the window the skylights
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The interior walls are unrendered, the nave has a 4-bay roof with a clustered scissor truss roof with tie-beams at the aby divisions. Pointed-arched arcades lead to the shallow aisles with plain roofs. There is a large arch at the crossing with keel-moulded outer and plain inner arches, the former with waterleaf capitals and stiff-leafed carving to the corbelled inner arches above the stalls. Steps lead into the chancel, there is a decorative tiled pavement and Arts & Crafts oak choir stalls. The reredos is in Italian alabaster depicting Christ’s Passion, in shallow niches and was inserted in 1929. The early English style font is in black and burgundy marble font on a plain base and in the same style a sandstone pulpit with blind arcaded sides and foliate decoration to the spandrels. The stained glass: ‘Jesus the Light of the World and Jesus the Good Shepherd’, 1886, Burlison & Grylls; ‘St John the Evangelist’, 1915, Shrigley & Hunt; ‘The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene’, Jones & Willis Ltd, ‘Hope’, Jones & Willis Ltd; ‘The Sower’, 1919, Morris & Co; ‘Salvator Mundi’, 1919, Morris & Co (design after Edward Coley Burne-Jones); ‘The Symbols of the Four Evangelists’, Shrigley & Hunt; ‘St Gabriel’, 1898, James Powell & Sons; ‘Faith, Hope and Charity’, 1880, James Powell & Sons (designer Henry Holiday); ‘Scenes from the Life of Christ’, 1886, Burlison & Grylls; ‘St Raphael’, 1902, Burlison & Grylls; ‘St Edmund’, 1925, Clayton & Bell; ‘Peace’ 1901, James Powell & Sons (designer Ernest Penwarden); ‘St Gabriel’, 1902 Burlison & Grylls; ‘St Michael’ 1902, Burlison & Grylls. There is one bell in use about which there is nothing recorded, a set of 8 tubular bells of 1907 by Harrington Latham and a redundant bell of 1863 by G Mears & Co.
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.