The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The medieval church of St Cadoc, consisting of tower, nave and chancel, was restored and redecorated in 1866 by Messrs Cox & Son of London, at the expense of John Etherington Rolls of The Hendre. In 1875 a N aisle was added, the chancel was slightly extended with a porch added to its S side and an organ chamber to its N side, and the interior was slightly remodelled, to the designs of T.H.Wyatt. The tower is medieval, but it is not clear how much of the fabric of the restored nave and chancel might also be medieval.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Apart from the tower, this is a small church of low proportions, consisting of a 3-bay nave with a N aisle under a carried-down roof, a 3-bay chancel with a small 1-bay transept and a priest's porch in the E angle, built of sandstone rubble with red tiled roofs in a mixed Decorated/Perpendicular style. The tower, incorporating the porch, is on the S side close to the W end. It is square on plan, internally of 4 stages but externally sheer and plain, with a tiled pyramidal roof bearing a weathervane finial. The S doorway, of red sandstone, has chamfered reveals and a double-chamfered 2-centred arch. Above it is a C15 mullioned window of 3 depressed-arched lights with roll-moulding to the mullions and the heads, and hollow spandrels, and on the E side at this level is a small 1-light window of similar character. The only other openings are a very small 2-light mullioned window in the centre of the W, S and E sides of the top stage, and a pair of low oblong belfry openings in all four sides immediately under the oversailing eaves of the roof. The W end of the nave has a 4-light window with Perpendicular tracery (renewed by Wyatt) and the adjoining end of the aisle has a 2-light window with Y-tracery. On the S side the E bay of the nave has a Perpendicular-style window of 3 cusped ogee lights with tracery. The chancel, which is slightly lower than the nave, has a low transept with a 4-light window mimicking the style of the 3-light window of the tower, and above this a small square window containing a recessed cusped quatrefoil; in the angle to the right, a 3-sided flat-roofed porch which has a 2-centred arched doorway with a hoodmould, a moulded band and a parapet with ridged coping; and to the right of this, a square-headed window of 2 cusped lights. Its gable has a traceried 3-light Perpendicular E window with a hoodmould. The aisle on the N side has sturdy buttresses with offsets, and a small window of 2 cusped lights in each bay.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Dignified and solid, with much use of Bath stone and some veined white marble. The nave has a 3-bay aisle arcade of octagonal columns with moulded caps and broad moulded 2-centred arches; a roof of arch-braced collar trusses carried on wall corbels, with curved Y-struts from kingposts to principals; and a painted lettered frieze below the moulded wall-plate of each bay. Its W window has stained glass by C.E.Kempe, 1879. At its E end is a generously-proportioned and heavily-moulded chancel arch with hoodmould, partly closed by dado-height "screen" walls of veined alabaster in Renaissance style, between which 3 steps rise into the chancel, which has a wooden wagon roof with Tudor-style moulded ribs and carved bosses. The altar is raised up 4 steps (with painted biblical texts on the risers), and has delicately arched and foliated communion rail of wrought-iron, and a carved alabaster reredos inlaid with brass. The E window has stained glass of the crucifixion with the three Marys, by Lavers and Barraud. A large 2-centred arch in the N wall contains the organ, its case of painted pipes corbelled out across the top of the arch. On the N wall next to the vestry door is a brass plate commemorating that the church was "restored by John Allan Rolls of The Hendre in 1875 in affectionate remembrance of his Father John Etherington Welch Rolls, who died 7th May 1870". There are also various wall monuments (from the earlier church) commemorating members of the Evans family in the C17 and C18, and other members of the Rolls family from c.1794.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.