The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
St Peter's Church Glasbury lies on the uphill side of the A438 Brecon to Hereford road about 20 km north east of Brecon. The church tower dominates the surrounding landscape being particulalry noticeable from the Radnorshire side of the river Wye. The church itself is probably the third church in Glasbury and original church was to be found on the raised area between the Rivers Wye and Llynfi. This raised area was then on the Radnorshire Bank of the river Wye but flooding removed the church and altered the course of the river. The replacement church was built where the present church stands but this decayed and had to be replaced. Behind the flood wall of Glasbury (Radnorshire) is the original vicarage related to the missing church.
CPAT Brecknockshire Churches Survey
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Glasbury is connected in legend with St Cynidr, AD433-464 who is said to have founded a church here, and was buried in the parish. The original church for Glasbury in Brecknockshire was located on the floodplain of the river Wye, due west of the present site. The building appears to have been seriously undermined by the river during the Commonwealth period, and a new building was built on the present site and dedicated in 1665. This is turn fell into poor order, and in the early C19 was replaced by the new church. The present building was erected in 1837-8 at the cost of £3,000, the architect being Lewis Vulliamy, the chancel being added to the original simple box at the cost of £779 in a re-ordering of 1881-2, and the organ chamber was added in 1910, when a further re-ordering removed the gallery and 3-deck pulpit, to be replaced by the present furnishings. The Revd Francis Kilvert, the diarist, hoped to obtain the living of St Peter in 1871, and on his failure, took a curacy in Wiltshire. The tower and bell frame were restored for the Millenium and the tower exteranl stone work was repaired in 2015 under the direction of Hook Mason Architects of Hereford. Each spring the churchyard is full of daffodils said to have been planted by gardeners from the 'Big House' Gwernyfed - now the local high school.
Buildings of Wales - Powys
Cadw Listing Notice
Quinquennial Inspection Reports
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a nave with narrower chancel west tower in pseudo-Romanesque design, it is not aligned on the normal east-west axis but sits alongside the road
The architect was Lewis Vulliamy, an architect who was born on 15th March 1791 at no. 68 Pall Mall, London. He attended the Royal Academy schools from March 1809 and set up his own practice in 1814. He died at his house in Clapham Common on 4th January 1871.
The walls are built in squared coursed local shale and feature strip pilasters, corbel tables and arch headed windows paired beneath revealing arches, the roof has interlocking concrete tiles.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The wide and lofty interior can seem gloomy to some but the play of sunshine through the stained glass makes for interesting colour patterns on the stone work. The church has three aisle but nothing interrupts the view into the chancel which is broken only by a iron rood screen of 1882 with simple Gothic detail.
The terracotta reredos behind the altar has a Crucifixion scene against a background of gold mosaic, it is by Powell of Blackfriars 1894. The communion rails are from the original C17 by the river, and have a central gate which opens outwards the rail has turned balusters.
The pipe organ in the chancel is by Norman and Beard Ltd 1910.
There is a brass chandelier at eastern end of choir. The openwork iron chancel screen was added 1881.
To the left of the chancel arch is a Pine pulpit part which is octagonal on a stone bass with brass handrail. To the right of the arch is a brass lectern.
In the centre of the church at the rear is a font: Octagonal, inscribed W/SHE/1635, with crudely carved roundels and birds on the tapering stem, found in a farmhouse in 1844 and brought in, is assumed to be from the original chapel at Aberllynfi, and there is a C19 font made to a similar shape, - a less inspired copy
In the bell tower there are two bells by Mears & Stainbank 1903, one bell by them 1902; five bells by Jefferies & Price 1838. The whole ring was taken down, tuned and re-hung as a Millennium Project.
The communion rails are from the original C17 church by the river, and have a central gate which opens outwards the rail has turned balusters.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.