The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The church is In a prominent position in the centre of Llandefelaelog Fach between the B4520, the Brecon to Builth Wells, and the west bank of Afon Honddu. The village is about 4 km north of Brecon.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
There has probably been a church here since late Medieval times, the provenance of the early Christian stones is unknown so they cannot be used for dating purposes. The Tower is most likely C16 but the body of the church was rebuilt in 1831 by John Maud of Brecon, and again in 1856 - 7 by W.G.& E. Habershon of Newport working on behalf of Revd Gilbert Harries. After the rebuilding the C13 font remained in situ having been in the previous church. It was further altered between 1878 and 1890 for £1,877-12-1. The church was lavishly refitted in 1889-90 in memory of Anne E Lewis-Lloyd of Glanhonddu, who had died in 1881 aged 87. The work was paid for by Mrs Williams wife of Prebendary W Williams and her sisters Mrs Rhys Lloyd and the Misses Lewis-Lloyd of Glanhonddu. The south porch was added together with the nave oak pews and nave mosaic dado in 1894-5 for £450. Structural movement in chancel were arrested in 1991, the engineer being Brian Morton of the Victorian Society, the tower roof was repaired 1998.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
CPAT Brecknockshire Churches Survey
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a C16 west tower with a Victorian nave, chancel, together with a north vestry and a south porch. It is built of grey sandstone with the Victorian work particularly in the nave in squared rock-faced blocks, with Bath stone (Ashlar) dressings. The structure is covered by a Welsh slate roofs with mock slate ridge tiles and a cross finial on the chancel . The tower is in plain rubble stone with a pyramid slate roof, it has small louvered bell-openings on each side under the eaves, there is an ornamental device which might once have supported a weather vane. The porch dating from 1894-5 is gabled with bargeboards having a red sandstone cross on the gable.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The Victorian porch leads in to the nave, this has a broad scissor- rafter roof, there is a ashlar tower arch to the west, being a double-chamfered pointed arch dying into the jambs. The Tower has high ceilings. The nave is ornamented with C19 bands of mozaics on the north side above the pew level, the floor is of Victorian tiles. The alabaster pulpit has a carved figure of the Good Shepherd while the lectern is a pelican in her piety with two chicks with semi precious stones sitting upon on a twisted stem. The chancel step has a most ornate wrought iron and brass screen of three bays each side of the centre by Skidmore of Coventry standing on a red marble plinth. The centre gable has crockets and finials. There is a C13 mediaeval round stone font, tapered in below to a round shaft.
An Alabaster reredos has triple gables on short columns, over cusped pointed niches each with scenes from crucifixion and resurrection: Entombment, Deposition and Resurrection. The altar table in front is with an embroidered frontal, the oak altar rails have twisted standards and scrolls. There are mozaic floors to both the chancel and sanctuary, the sancuary being one green marble step above the chancel. The floor in the chancel is in blue, red, white and yellow with a 'IHS' motif in the centre. The two round mozaic panels each have 5 roundel of the Evangelists' symbols, pelican and doves. Both areas are under a wagon roof of twenty panels with decorative bosses.
The stained glass - the east window is by Thomas Ward showing over seven scenes on a blue background 'The Life of Christ'; the west window is by Burlidon & Grylls of 1902, the milkiness of the work in intensely coloured vignettes shows the 'Baptism of Conelius and the Supper at Emmaus'. The Tower west window has two angels in the style of Thomas Kempe.
The organ was removed from St Mary's Brecon c1890.
In the Tower the rings of bells : two cast in the C15 from Gloucester, two cast in 1715 from Brecon, one recast in 1981 and two cast in 1889.
A Celtic stone cross (an Ancient Monument) isfixed to the wall at base of tower.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.