The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The town centre civic church is in the middle of St Mary’s Square, Swansea, a haven of peace and calm, with modern shopping parades on most sides. The remains of Swansea Castle stand, at some distance, to one side. A pedestrian walkway connects the Church with St David's RC church closer to the sea-front
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
St Mary's is the mother church of Swansea and stands on the site of a medieval church, the city having grown around its church and castle, market and port over many centuries. The earlier church was rebuilt by Thomas Woodward of Worcester in 1739 and the whole church was re-built by Arthur Blomfield between 1894 and 1898. On February 21st, 1941 the church was destroyed by fire caused by the air raids that caused the destruction of much of the town centre. After the war the Church was rebuilt between 1954-9 by Leslie T Moore and Sir Percy Thomas with the Queen Mother being present at its re-consecration and re-opening on 28th May 1959. During the period when the church was closed awaiting repair the congregation met at the daughter Church St James in the Uplands
Buiding of Wales - Glamorganshire
Quinquennial Inspection Reports
Cadw Listing Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Wide six bayed nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with Trinity Chapel (which replaced the mediaeval Trinity chapel destroyed in the blitz). The lofty tower is almost detached. The building is almost cathedral like in its scale.
The church is built from rock-faced snecked sandstone with dressings of Bathstone
The Buildings of Wales Glamorgan 2001
Cadw Listed Buildings Report
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
On entry into the church the visitor in able to experience a wide open building with transepts opening inconspicuously off the nave, the chancel arch hardly breaking the space. The east wall of the chancel is broken by three arches which lead into the Lady chapel.
Internal Fixtures and Fittings
The altar table is made with stone slabs supported on two stone pedestals having an altar frontal designed by Margaret Kaye in consultation with John Piper. The octagonal carved panelled oak pulpit on a pedestal with access steps and handrails has a decorative timber canopy above. The oak lectern is a World War Two memorial.
The modern octagonal font with an oak cover on a stone plinth with a massive iron superstructure was designed by G G Pace being a modernist reworking of Bishop Cousin’s font canopy in Durham cathedral with decorative metal emblems/handles installed in 1973.
The Organ was installed by Hill Norman and Beard 1958, worked on by Nicholson of Malvern 1988.
In the chancel is a Piscina and Sedilia in the south wall, a stone altar with a pewter cross, a creredence table, and a Brass showing a knight and lady c1510. The communion rail is in four free standing timber sections with intricate padded kneelers.
In the choir vestry are a number good quality painting, one by Evan Walters a painter of distinction born in Llangyfelach and working during the first half of the C20.
The stained glass is an interesting collection much of it experimental and can best be see via ‘Stained Glass Wales’
Of particular significance is the Welsh Guards Falkland Memorial 1985 by Rodney Bender, nominally abstract but based on Dylan Thomas’ poem ‘And Death Shall have No Dominion’. A pair of windows by the font by Kuni Kajiwara are almost monochrome and are inspired by the destruction and rebuilding of Swansea after the second world war.
Within this church are a number of chapels:
Trinity Chapel: There is a recessed stone shelf holding the roll of honour in the screen behind the oak altar. The lectern, altar rails and pews are also in oak.
St Anne's Chapel: A modern stone altar on a stone platform, an oak altar rail and kneeler, an oak lectern, a Tabernacle and lights in the north wall, a painting by Ceri Richards hangs above the Altar and there is a C14 stone effigy of a lady.
Chapel of St Peter ad Vincula ( St Peter in chains) has a timber altar with timber cross and candlesticks, there is a painting in an oak frame above the altar, there is a Sacristy bell and an oak altar rail and kneeler
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Glamorgan 2001
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.