The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
The name/dedication of the church and its location.
A brief description of the image.
The date the image was created.
Details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who uploaded the image.
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Gladestry lies at the western end of the Hegest Ridge ( which runs eastwards to Kington some 6km away as the crow flies). it is situated on the B4594, effectivey Old Radnor to Erwood. A number of streams merge at this point and four roads too centre upon the the village (some being Drovers roads). Kington is about 9km by road.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The earlist record of the church as 'Ecclesia de Clandestr' in the Taxatio of 1291. The tall nave dates from C13 from which the south wall with paired and single lancet windows survive. In rhe late C14 an aisle was added and th chancel was rebuilt as wide as the nave - the chamfered priest's door with angle stops probably dates from this time. Also about this date the windows of the north aisle - two-lighters with trefoil heads and a single light with a ogee trefoil heads were added. Also during this C14 an arcade of three bays was added with double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with thin moulded caps. Of asimilar date is the lofty double-chamfere chancel arch, its inner order dying into wide responds. The porch is late C15 and has a collar roof with big tie beams and raking struts with wind-braces. In C16 the chancel was again remodelled when the tall straight-headed Perpendicular windows were added with trefoil lights. The west tower must have been much rebuilt in the C16, but its doorway must have been made before the aisle was added. The chancel roof is C16 being a good example of an arch-braced collar construction with two and half rows of quadrefoil wnd-bracing ad oak studs carved on the underside of the trusses.
During the Civil War (War of the Three Kingdoms) Charles I passed throught the village in the nervous weeks following the battle of Naseby (14 June 1645) and in 1870 Francis Kilvert - Victorian Diarist and curate in Clyro - met William Pritchard who claimed to own the very jug from whch the King had taken his milk. ( The King's journey from South Wales northwards had taken him through Brecon where he stayed overnight possibly in the Diocean offices (as at 12/01/17) and so to Old Gweryfend and thence to Gladestry and northwards.
In 1859 Thomas Nicholson was engaged to light repairs and the contractor was Page & Son of Leominster; and in 1910-11 R Wellings Thomas added the panel-traceried east window and repaired the roof, Richard Morgan of Kington being the contractor.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
CPAT Radnorshire Churches Survey
A Survey of Ceramic Tiles in the Radnorshire Churches M A V Gill 200
Roads and Trackways of Wales Richard Moore – Colyer 2001
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is a handsome and relatively large building of nave, lean-to north aisle, chancel with sanctus bellcote, south porch and west tower. The squat shingled broach spire was added in 1719. It has been built with predominantly thin shale slabs - the higher up the walls the larger the slabs and the more iron staining can be seen. The stonework is pointed save that the porch which has a limewashed interior. The roofs are of shale slabs and the nave has fleur-de-lys ridge tiles. The tower too has slates, the splay-foot spire rises from the low pyramidial roof of the tower and is surmounthed by a weater vane in the form of a flying serpentt dated 1709 with the church wardens initials.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Rare (for Radnorshire) the church has a C15 nave roof- arch braced close set rafters over crown posts and arch braced tie-beam. The feet of the hammer posts rest on stone corbels, the two above the aisle arcade are male/female heads. The chancel arch is offset with asymmetrical soffit chamfers, probably with C13 base and an enlarged C14 head, the chancel roof is C16 with arch braced rafters with plain boss decoration, chamfered purlins and quatrefoil windbraces. Earlier roof line are visible. A stoup was formed from a re-used foliated Early.English capital, piscina with pointed arch. C14 north arcade of three bays with responds, octagonal piers, moulded capitals, double chamfered soffit.
The boarded south door has very elaborate strap hinges. There is a spectacular altar peice, a finely carved stone pulpit of 1749 set above a small octagonal base and an angel carved in wood with seperate brass steps and handrail. The plain octagonal C13 font has an ornate timber cover made in 1914 during the Great War. The compact organ is by James Wilson in built in 1920 and restored by Peter Hughes of Worcester 2004. An oak framed cupboard housing kitchen facities was built 2009
There are 3 bells within a wooden frame, originally 5 bells cast in 1719 by Abraham II Rudhall of Gloucester, the Sanctus bell by John Warner & Sons cast in 1921.
Such encuastic tiles as there are to be found within the church bear the mark of Godwin of Lugwardine, Hereford.
A Survey of Ceramic Tiles in the Radnorshire Churches M A V Gill 2005
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.