The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Crickhowell is a small town in the Usk Vally, variously decribed as 'The Garden of Wales' or by Richard Fenton in 1804 as 'the most chearful town I ever saw.' at which time the town was a stopping point on the London - Brecon - Carmarthen coach service. The present town lies on the A40 (London to Fishguard road) about 9 km west north west of Abergavenny and 23 km south east of Brecon. The church lies on the western side of the planned medieval town almost opposite Crickhowell High School. The castle is on the western side of the town centre.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Crickhowell Church of St Edmund is also know in full as St Edmund King and Martyr. It is the only church in Wales so dedicated. The town of Crickhowell dates from before 1281 when Edward1 confirmed its existing market and fairs. The church was founded by Lady Sibyl Paunceefote and consecrated in 1303, probably as a daughter church to the much older parish of Llangattock across the river Usk.. During medieval times the transepts may have acted as chantry chapels as Theophilus Jone refered to their having the emblems of the Corwainer's and Drapers' Guilds. The C15 aisles were demolished in 1765 and the materials disposed of. The south aisle was rebuilt in 1829 under the direction of William Whittington and the north aisle re-instated in 1835. With the advice of J L Pearon the spire was rebuilt in 1829. Nicholson & Son restored the chancel in 1894 and in 1897 Nicholson & Hartree repaired the roofs. In 1934 W D Caröe fitted up the south transet as a lady chapel.
CPAT Historic Settlement Survey - Crickhowell
CPAT Brecknockshire Churches Survey
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Crickhowell church is cruciform in shape and is one of the larger churches in Powys. It has the following elements: west porch, nave, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, a tower over the crossing, a chancel with a north vestry and a porch opening off the chancel. The building has been constructed from red sandstone blocks in an early English Gothic style with Forestof Dean stone for dressings, the spire is covered in shingles dating from 1963 when a storm ripped off the copper sheeting; while the church roofs have tiles with crested ridge tiles, with cross finials on most gables. There is an area of wall of irregular red, grey and brown slabs and blocks of sandstone which are the remains of the medieval stone work. There is a metal weathercock on the spire.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The church has a lofty interior with bare, unplastered stone with C15 three-bay arcades of double-chamfered crossing arches on octagonal piers, the eastern arches are wider and lack respondes due to the presence of a screen. The nave has a ribbed wagon roof, most floors have Victorian tiles. The north transcept known as the Gwernvale tramsept is largely filled with the organ made in the 1880's by Sweetlands, organ builders of Bath. The tower crossing has choir stalls which are from the Nicholson & Son's restoration raised on both sides with a wooden rib vaulted ceiling, each wall has a two-centred arch, the responds with double chanfered mouldings have no captials. The south wall has a Perpendicular-style screen introduced by W D Caröe.
In the Lay Chapel is to be found a fine Crucifixion designed by W D Caröe in 1934,. The main Reredos was brought in in 1894 by Nicholson of Hereford showing the Last Supper beneath florid stone canopies and carved from Caen Stone. To the rght of the High Altar are to be found 'Rumsey Arms'. There are Gothic brass altar rails. In the nave the ashlar pulpit has the carved heads of the evangelists The font is a serpentine-section bowl dated 1668 with a C19 lid. Throughout the church are to be found a fine group of monuments: in the chancel in C13, a recumbent alabaster figures of Sir John and Lady Joan Herbert 1690, Early C14 monument to Lady Sibyl Paunceforte with no hands (reference to Paunceforte legend), Sir Gerald Paunceforte d1287 lies opposite.
The Stained glass: on south wall of the south aisle (Lady Chapel) 'Women Performing Acts of Mercy' was designed by: Charles Alexander Gibbs 1872; on the south wall of the chancel, 'By Thy Cross and Passion Good Lord Deliver Us' of about 1888; 'Cornelius Kneeling Before an Angel' of 1883; on the east wall 'The Ascension' of about 1890; on the west wall 'The Nativity ' of about 1870; and on the west wall of the south aisle 'Hannah and Samuel, Elizabeth and St John the Baptist and the Presentation of Christ in the Temple' from the studio of C E Kempe dated 1899.
There is18th century oak bell frame much altered supporting a peal of 8 fixed bells. five cast in 1934 by Mears & Stainbank; one cast in 1803, one cast in C14 and one cast in 1708 by Evan I Evans
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013001
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.