The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The village of Llanwrthwl is in a small village of stone and brick built cottages on the western bank of the river Wye some 16 km north northwest of Builth Wells, 7 km south of Rhayader. The village is just across the river bridge ( about 150m) from the A470 Cardiff to Llandudno road. The church is at the centre of the village.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The roughly circular shape of the churchyard indicatesa 'Llan' settlement and church, the present church which was a replacement for an earlier building was undertaken by J G Finch Noyes in 1875. The previous church or an earlier one may have been founded in the C5 or C6 by St Gwrthwl 'The Confessor'. A 'sacrificial' stone stands in the churchyard close to the porch
CPAT Brecknockshire Churches Survey
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church consists of a nave and narrower, lower chancel, a south porch and with a vestry on the north side of the chancel. It is built from squared blocks and slabs of a grey angular stone - probably sandstone - with buff sandstone dressings. The west wall is completely whitewashed. The windows are single or paired lancets, three in both west and south walls of the nave, four in the north wall and two in the south wall. The east window consists of three trefoil lights under a two centred arch with a hoodmoudings that has plain stops.
CPAT Radnorshire Churches Survey
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
One step up into a tiled porch which has a scissor strutted roof, a tall two-centred arched doorway leads up into the nave which is completely carpetted. The walls are plastered and white washed, except for the bare wall west of the nave. The roofs of nave and chancel have close -set scissor trusses. There is a large chancel arch supported on round pillars. A step up in to the chancel and a further step into the sanctuary both having encaustic tiles. The whole structure is open, airy and Victorian. There is an oak altar table with a beautiful altar cloth with an oak and iron communion rail. A pine pulpit, and an oak and iron lectern stand in the nave. Some iron hoop chandeliers with three shades in nave All that survives of the earlier church is the circular font with four projecting heads with an oak cover and a holy weather piscina which dates from the 12th century. The pipe organ with pine casing is by Conacher and Co Huddersfield. There are two bells by John Taylor & Co cast in 1878.
Cadw Listings Notice
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.