The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
The name/dedication of the church and its location.
A brief description of the image.
The date the image was created.
Details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who uploaded the image.
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
St Harmon village is a dispersed community in the wide valley on the gravel terraces of the Afon Marteg, a tributary of the River Wye. The village is situated about8km north northeast of Rhayader and about 11km almost south of Llanidloes. The fomer Mid Wales Railway from Moat Lane to Three Cocks Junction ran through the village near to the church. The church is situated on the northeast side of the road from Rhayader to Llaniloes B4518.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The raised churchyard, almost circular, indicates a possible 'clas'settlement . St Garmon's monastry was founded here in C6 but desolved after 1066, Giraldus Cambrensis wrote of the St Curig's staff (crozier) being housed in the church and it being able to effect miracles. There was a church here in 1818 consisting of nave, chancel and porch with a low turret containing one bell all in a very delapidated condition. This church was demolsihed in 1821 and a smaller church was erected by W Evans, the building being a nave with a south porch. The Victorian Diarist and clergyman the Revd Francis Kilvert was vicar here between 1876 and 1877 but there being no vicarage in the village he lived in lodgings in Rhayader. By 1906 the church was in a sorry state of repair, it would appear that no repairs had been carried out since it was built. An application was made to the Incoroporated Church Building Society for a grant towards its restoration and beautification, but its committee of architects approved of neither the chosen architect R Wellings Thomas nor his plans. The church building committee approved the plans and a faculty was granted on 4 July 1907, the contract was awarded to S Arthur Bounds of Llandrindod Wells. It was during this restoration that the Regency Gothic Windows, and pryramidical west bellcote were replaced by the present fixtures in paritcularly a short chancel was added.
CPAT Radnorshire Churches Survey
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
A Survey of Ceramic Tiles in the Radnorshire Churches M A V Gill Radnorshire Society 2005
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
Gerald of Wales The Journey through Wales/The Description of Wales
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Nave and chancel with a porch over the south door and vestry off the northeast corner of the nave.
Church Quinuennial Inspection Reports
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Between the nave and chancel is a double chamfered arch with a big Tudor arch into the north chamber housing the organ. The font is a C12 round bowl with four projecting carved human heads similar to those in Rhayader and Llanwrthwl. The pulpit is carved from Caen stone with Perpendicular cusping, and there is a brass candelabrum dated 1771. The stained glass is to be found; in the east window 'The Last Supper' probably by Burlison & Grylls dated 1908, the north window by A O Hemmings & Co features 'St Paul ' and is dated 1921, and in the south window is to be found 'St Garmon' created by Celtic Studios in 1979. The C19 bell, cast probably by Llewellins & James, and bell frame has been renovated and moved to the west wall of the south porch.The walkways of the church are wood blocks with tiled walking ways, the sacrarium is laid with Godwin's encuastic tiles in sober but rich colouring.
Revd Francis Kilvert denounced the church 'built in the Dark Ages of fifty years ago.'
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.