The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llangattock is in the Usk Valley 24 km south east of Brecon along the B4558 and 7 miles northwest of Abergavenny along the A40 to Crickhowell. The church itself is at the north end of village 1 km from Crickhowell bridge over the River Usk. It is sheltered to the west by the Ffawyddog Mountain in the Brecon Beacons rnage of mountains.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
A church is first recorded here in C6, dedicated to St Cattwg (497 - 577 AD). There is said to have been a C12 tower, but no evidence for it survives. It was probably on the site of the present C16 tower. The C14 arcade suggests that the church may belong to this date, although the walls were substantially rebuilt in the C18 and C19. Extensive repairs took place in 1719 and 1785-7, the latter work including the replacement of the former double-naved roof with a single roof spanning the full width. At this time, the E end of the chancel had a 4-light window with trefoiled lancets. Most of the current windows date from a restoration of 1843, when the work was carried out by Benjamin James a talented local builder. The windows may be copies of earlier windows. The return to separate (twin) roofs was probably made at this time along with the insertion of a gallery and the refurbishment of the chancel. A new (main) porch was built to replace the former one, this is a fine piece of work, an ogee-arched Bathstone entrance with a crocketed enrichment and four-centred inner doorway. The 2nd porch is also C19. Much of the church furniture belongs to a restoration of 1886, and at this time, the conical roof on the tower was removed along with the pews and gallery. A vestry was added to the NW angle of the church in the 1990s.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
CPAT Brecknockshire Churches Survey
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A late-Perpendicular church with a three stage west tower and two parallel chanmbers forming a double nave and chancel. The nave and north aisle are about the same width and the eastern part is stepped down with the north chancel now serving as the organ chamber. The construction is largely red sandstone blocks under a natural slate roof. In the north west angle of the church are the church rooms constructed in the 1990s.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Entrance is through one of two porches, a main entrance and a porch to the priest's door. Insde there are C14 two-order arcades of three bays to the nave and two bays to the chancel with a contemporary chancel arch. There is a panelled wagon roof to the nave and arched-braced collar trusses with trefoil decoration.
The font, pulpit - oak on an octagonal base with brass rails, pews, organ and reredos is engraved with the then commandments and the Lord's Prayer all belong to the C19 restoration, the altar is in oak dated 1886 with an oak communion rail, and there is a brass eagle lectern. six bells were hung in 1785 and refurbished 2003/4. Five of the bells were cast by Evan I Evans in 1719; and three bells were cast by John Taylor & Co in 1886.
The stained glass: 'Faith,Hope and Charity ' dated 1886; 'Christ the Good Shepherd' 1884; 'The Resurrection'; 'The Dove of Peace' 1887'; 'The Crucifiction' 1873 by Clayton and Belldedicated to Sir Jseph Bailey and his widow Maryanne; 'Christ and the Parable Suffer Little Children' 1888; 'Come unto me' 1888.
Within the north aisle there are remains of the village wooden stocks and a whipping post fixed to the wall.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.