The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llangammarch Wells lies on the Central Wales Railway line (Shrewsbury to Swansea). It is situated at the confluence of the the Afon Cadmmarch with the Afon Irfon and below the western slopes of Mynydd Epynt to the east and south. The town is approached by minor roads from Garth, Beulah and Llanwytyd Wells. Builth Wells is 12 km to the north east while Llanwrtyd Wells is about 7km to the west.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The doubling of the 'm' in the town's name is an Anglicisation and the addition of 'Wells' dates from the town's perod as a spa. St Cadmarch is said to be a grandson of the legendary king of Brecheiniog and the dedication suggests a C6 clas foundation in the area. The poet Cynddelw (C1155-1200) attributed the church to St Tysilio in his 'Cân Tysilio (Song to Tysilo). The earliest mention of the town is C12 as 'Llangamarch'. There was a medieval church in the area which was by1840 'ruinous' . Around 1850 a new church was erected in Victorian Gothic which according to Glynne was 'a mean church situated on an abrupt eminence'. This in turn had to be demolished and replaced by a new church at the instigation of Miss Cara Thomas on a new site by W D Caröe at a cost of £4,000, between 1915 and 1916, the tower being added in 1927 although to a simplified plan..
The town developed as a spa town following the discovery of barium chloride wells in the late C18, the development being masterminded by Theophilus Evans vicar and 'creator' of the neighbouring Llanwrtyd Wells. At its height its bottled water was being shipped all over Britian by rail, it was even marketing its own brand of cigarettes with a pump room, three hotels and a golf course. In the C19 the town held an annual horse fair. During World War 2 the mountains of the Epynt were taken over as a military range (in preference to the Precelli area of Pembrokeshire) which restricted the area to the south.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
CPAT Brecknockshire Churches Survey
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a low nave and a chancel, a south porch and a vesrty all built on a new site in the churchyard. Designed in the local perpendicular with significant Arts-and-Crafts treatment. This is especially noteable in the finely crafted windows. It was built with rubble masonry in mixed colorus incorporating former masonry - in the nave and chancel some of the stone retains traces of render. The dressings and tooled quoins are red sandstone and the roof is of graded pale slates overhanging at the eaves.The later added tower is typically 'Breconshire' with a splayed base and a Perpedicular belfry with plinth and corbelled flat parapet, recessed pyramid roof and weathercock. There are two-light cusped louvred bell-lights and small loops at mid-height. Three-light w window with cusped lights under an elliptical arch with stone voussoirs. The porch has finely detailed doorway with chamfered sides, square head and moulded surround with castellated top. Above it is an important C9 carved stone with a cross in a circle over a human figure and a spiral pattern.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Internally the walls are rendered with dressings in grey rubble stone. The west end has a tall pointed arch with stone voussoirs framing a lower broad pointed arch. There is a panelled timber screen across with matching double doors, and cresting of half-rounds. The 1927 tower has a beamed ceiling with chamfered west corners. The north walll has rubble stone arcade of 4 pointed arches with square piers, rubble stone and stone voussoirs. Each bay is infilled with one 2-light window. The south wall has cambered headed 2-light to right, over cambered-headed radiator recess, the south door in a rough stone pointed arch with tooled-stone tympanum over cambered-headed door, another two windows over radiator recesses. Single roof, narrowed in chancel. Nave has alternate trusses, two broad arch-braced collar trusses with brattished cambered collars, and braces carried on wall posts, and two tie-beam trusses with octagonal kingpost carrying four arched strut. Chancel is narrower, framed by grey rubble piers with a pointed squinch arch at top of angle between pier and nave wall. Red stone foundation plaque to right jamb, 10/8/1915. Roof has three arch-braced collar trusses with low cambered collars, brattishes on top. Two white stone steps to chancel, one to sanctuary and two to altar. Side walls have a tall segmental-pointed transeptal opening each side framed in grey rubble stone, then a pair of two-light windows set high in single segmental-pointed opening without the stone framing. The very broad five light east window is higher still, in segmental-pointed reveal. on the north side tall arch frames organ. To right is grey stone doorway to vestry with well-crafted framed plank door with wrought iron hinges. Wall cupboard to right with delicate wrought iron hinges, in plain ashlar surround. The south side has amatching tall arch frames a three-light window, radiator recess below. Under left windows is fine red stone sedilia with hollow-moulded shouldered surround, with pyramid stops, cambered cusped head. Stone seats, boarded back. Linked to left is piscina recess, shouldered with wood shelf. E end has large Gothic oak reredos and panelling each side, c. 1918. Two bays of panelling each side with rosettes in cornice and traceried upper panels. Reredos is framed by tall panelled piers with statue on half-octagonal shaft, St Cadmarch to left, St David to right, each under ogee niche. Panelled 5-bay centre with wider centre bay, blind tracery to heads. Cornice with rosettes and top cresting. The very broad eastwindow above has thick red stone piers between lights. Fittings: sandstone octagonal font tapered below to round shaft. There is a damaged medieval octagonal font on floor, chamfered below. Fine pulpit in red sandstone ashlar with three-sided front with moulded border, cross in relief and cornice with bosses. Base has a centre projecting square pier. Stone steps up. Oak book-rest lectern 1916 with fine pierced tracery to sides, on octagonal carved shaft. Pews with simple squared ends. Similar stalls with shaped ends. The Organ is by Vowles. Simple timber altar rails on 4 posts. Timber altar table on four heavy front piers each with carved roundel. Stepped lintels between posts. Stained Glass: east window war memorial unveiled 1921. Fine five light in late Gothic style: 'Crucifixion' in centre, 'Suffer the Children and Light of World' to left, 'Mary Magdalene and Lamb of God' to right. Memorials: plaque to Rev D. Lloyd Isaac died 1876, marble with hand on cross. Rustic Gothic plaque to Joseph Richards of Cwmbryn Llanlleonfel, died 1841, signed Davies of LL. War Memorial plaques probably by Caroe. Marble plaque to Theophilus Jones, author of the History of Breconshire, died 1812, by Davies of Builth. Much of the furnishng was by W D Caröe.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.