The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
The name/dedication of the church and its location.
A brief description of the image.
The date the image was created.
Details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who uploaded the image.
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llandegley lies on the old turnpike road from Penybont to Kington - Kington being 17km to the south east of the village. The former trunpike is now the A44 Oxford to Aberystwyth road and the village lies (now bypassed by the road) some19 km south east of Rhayader. Situatd between the Mithil Brook and smaller tributary the Logyn Brook the village is overshadowed by the craggy outcrops of Llandegley rocks and Radnor Forest, the church is on a slight rise - the highest point within the village.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
There would appear to have been a church here since medieval times in that there is a record of a church being repaired in 1676 and then being much more restored by S W Williams (the contractor being Thomas Berry of Kington) in 1874-6 who added a chancel to the single chamberd church. The work in C17 brought into the chruch some Grinshill stone from Abbey Cwmhir (the cusped south door). An application that had been made to the Ecclesiastical Commissioner would appear to have been ignord but the Severn family of Penybont Hall contributed substantially towards the cost.. The west tower was created in 1953 with a shingle broach spire - there having been a previous tower which had collapsed in C17 and which had a timbered belfry stage. This was built from using stone from Llwynbarried Hall, Nantmel.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
CPAT Radnorshire Churches Survey
A Survey of Ceramic Tiles in the Radnorshire Churches M A V Gill 2005
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A single cell church of nave and chancel under a single roof a with west tower with a squat broach cedar shingle spire, and a south porch . It was built with roughly coursed random rubble sandstone and shale blocks, with a natural blue grey slate roof. The rubble stone incorporates much earlier masonry. In the south wall as well as the graceful septfoil head, supposedly a spoil from Cwmhir Abbey, are two jambstones with knife sharpening marks and one with a horizontal piercing which turns through a right-angle although the purpose is unclear. The windows of the church are Perpendicualr which is unusual for Williams who tended to prefer Early English.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
A carved oak altar table, four legs low level rail stands in front of a panelled oak reredos the full width of east wall. The communion rails are iron standards with a hinged section. In the nave there is a: carved pine open panelled pulpit on dressed stonework base with stone access steps, a pine lectern with brass candle holders, the font is possibly Norman, plain round bowl on cylindrical stem, oak cover. There is a decorative panelled pine screen towards west end of nave; decoratively carved rood screen
The stained glass is by Jones and Willis: 'The Crucifixion with Christ the Light of the World and the Good Shepherd' 1897, 'The Resurrection' C1911, and 'Charity' c1907. In the tower are bells hung for full circle ringing.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.