The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
The name/dedication of the church and its location.
A brief description of the image
The date the image was created.
Details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who uploaded the image.
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llanfihangel Rhydithon, also known as Dolau, is a small settlement on the Central Wales Railway (Shrewsbury to Swansea) about 10 km north-east of Llandrindod Wells 15km south-west of Knighton. The church looks south over the Maes Brook which is a small tributary of the River Aran which itself flows into the river Ithon some kilometrs away. Thus the name of the settlement bears little relationship to the river and the name was probably used to distinguish Llanfihangel from all other Llanfihangels.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
A previous church was rebuilt in its entirity in 1838 and retains no earlier features other than a C14 font and a couple of C18 memorials. For the 1838 rebuilding the architect was Benjamin Wishlade sometime County Surveyor of Radnorshire and the builder was J Cole and the church was 'built in the darkest period of the revival of Gothic Architecture.' On 20 February 1891 the Revd J H A Griffiths applied to the Incorporated Building Society for a grant towards the re-seating and repair of the church. In May Stephen Williams' plan for a thorough restoration of the church was approved and Henry Price of Builth was contracted to carry out the work. At this point the gallery, the barrel organ and ths square pews were removed. Further work took place in 1906 under the direction of the architect R Wellings Thomas, the builder being S Arthur Bounds of Llandrindod Wells.
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
CPAT Radnorshire Churches Survey
A Survey of Ceramic Tiles in the Radnorshire Churches M A V Gill 2005
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is composed of nave with a tower at the west end, the vestry and store are to the north side and there is ashort east Chancel. It is built from squared coursed grey shaly sandstone, small to medium sized, and Bathstone dressed stonework to doorways, windows and a Pennant rock faced stone to tower.. The roof has slates with ceramic ridge tiles; cross finials to the nave and chancel and a weather vane on the top of the tower which has a battlement parapet.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The tower has a flagged floor with ceiling panels and brick and concret steps to the belfry where there are six bells, five of which were made by Thomas II Mears of Gloucester in 1838, the sixth (the Treble) made by Gillett & Johnson in 1938.. A broken graveslab dated 1767 leans aganst the west wall and commemorates shepherds lost in a blizard. The nave sits under a fiddly tie-beam roof with struts and open roundels and date from the Wellings Thomas repairs of 1907. The floors are tiled with flush wood block flooring under the benches. A two centred chancel arch wth half roundel responds and capitals is over the step into the chancel with a further step into the sanctuary where Maws encaustic tiles have been laid.
The altar is an oak panelled table having oak communion rails with decorated painted metal supports. The pulpit is an octagonal, pine panelled, with steps. Similary the lectern is pine while the font is a plain octagonal stone with a timber cover. The stained glass east window is by J Stevenson of Bath 1907 'The Good Shepherd', the south nave window is by Howard Martin and Hubert Thomas 'St Cecilia and St Francis' while other stained glass 'Peter's Commission' from the firm of: Robert J. Newbery dated 1907; 'St Michael and St David ' from the same firm about 1922; and 'St George and St Patrick' about 1944.
There is a central decorative brass multiple lamp chandelier with central oil lamp. The clock by Ebenezer Fisher of Ellesmere 1970.
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.