The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Newbrdge-on-Wye is situated on the A470 Cardiff to Llandudno main road 9.5km north west of Builth Wells and13 km south east of Rhayader. Its spire is an obivious feature in the centre of the village.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Newbridge-on-Wye grew as a watering hole in the C18 for the drovers, the railway arrived in 1864 (Mid Wales Railway Moat Lane to Three Cocks) and the village grew as a small spa. It was part of the Llanyre parish. The ladies of the Venables family of Llysdinam decided to sponsor a church and the architect SW Williams of Rhayader was retained to design the church. His design was then built by a contractor, Bowers and Mansfield of Hereford at a cost of over £4,600. This churh was consecrated on 12 July 1883 and repalced an iron clas building which had served as a school room. This church was to be a high point in the carear of S W Williams. The venables family continue their interest in the church and have enhanced it from time to time.
The orriginal encuastic tile floor of tiles from Mr Godwin's works at Withington have been largely replaced by marbles in the sanctuary.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
A Survey of Ceramic Tiles in the Radnorshire Churches M A V Gill 2005
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a nave in 7 bays with a vaulted chancel with an octagonal apsidal east end. A vestry in the north transept and organ chamber in south transept, tower with spire off west end of north wall of nave, the lower ground floor of the tower houses the porch. Building materials: Random sandstone rubble brought to courses with dressed sandstone quoins, window and door surrounds, plinths, string courses, copings and spire, clay tiles. The whole building is in Decorated polychromy albeit that ths style was already old fashioned by the date of bilding. The northwest tower is tall and supports a broached spire with big paired belfry lights, the construction is in thinly courses pinkish sandstone with green rock-faced quions and Bathstone tracery.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The interior of the church is liturgically strong with the level of adornment getting progressively richer from the nave into the sanctuary. The porch has a heavily ribbed celing with deep square panels and the original encuastic tiles are still to be found on the floor. A pointed doorway with continuous roll and keeled roll mouldings and a hood mould with head stops leads into the nave. The boarded door has strap hinges and similar ones are to be found on the tower stair door. The nave and chancel have ashlar walls with red-sandstone banding. Above the nave is a 7-bay roof of arch-brace trusses on corbelled shafts with stiff -leaf capitals, hood moulds and head stops.. The chancel has a wooden rib vault on foliage corbels carried on ring shafts rising from a sill band. The sill band is carried as a hood mould over the south dorrway and a pointed south transept arch, on the north side, this sill band is carried over the pointed vestry door. In the sanctuary, rere arches have ringed marble shafts moulded captials and keeled and roll moulding to th arches. the northeast and south east bays have cusped arcading below the sills and the east window has a reredos comprising a painted foliage band over a stone ledge. In the south bay there is a recess for the priest's seat. A north aumbry has two cusped arches and foiliage spandrels. The intarsia pavement is an addition from 1909 when the ladies of the Venables family proposed re-paving and adorning the sanctuary and chancel in memory of Agnes Minna Venebales. They employed W D Caröe whose plans allowed for slabs of Swedish marble to replace the Godwin tiles in the chancel, while inside the altar rail (a brass telescopic altar rail on fretted bases) they were replaced by a pavement of 'opus aelexandrinum in a cosmati pattern composed of onyx, rosso antico and rich marbles of many shades and colours, set in a framework of beautiful deep-cream St Just Marble'.
CPAT Radnorshire Churches Surveyey
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.