The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llangasty Talyllyn is situated on the southern shore of Llangorse Lake some10 km east southeast of Brecon. The ground slopes gently northwards from thechurch towards the lake100m away, the water being about 2m below the level of the church.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
It is likely that there was a Medieval foundation here, the church has the unique dedication to St Gastyn who is reputed to have been tutor to the better known St Cynog. The churchyard is nearly circular as and there is archaeological evidence of crannogs and lakeside settlements in the Early Christian period. This medieval church was probably rebuilt in the mid C16 and the tower was added c1670. By 1838 this church was described as a 'dark, ancient and decaying edifice.'
In the 1840's Robert Raikes and his wife came from Yorkshire originally. Robert was a kinsman of the earlier Robert Raikes, one of the founders of the Sunday School movement. He had been at Oxford in the 1830s, where he had come under the influence of the Oxford Movement, to such an extent that he gave up his partnership in the family bank to look for a country parish in which he could put his Tractarian ("High Church") principles into practice. The family were in fact wealthy merchants and bankers in Hull. He found at Llangasty a suitable church and in 1847 he engaged a young architect, John Loughborough Pearson, to rebuild the church, and to build a church school (near the entrance to the churchyard, since 1925 a private house), and a house for himself at Treberfedd. Pearson was already known to him as Pearson had built a church for Raikes' mother in Yorkshire. The stone for the 'big house' was quarried locally and the bathstone was transported along the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, both may well have been used in the construction of the church.
The Raikes family continued to live in Treberfedd (2016) and to engage in activites of public good. One member was instrumental in the re-introduction of the Red Kite into Powys.
Pearson's work began in 1848 and a more or less completley rebuilt chuch followed incorporating some of the medieval stone particularly in the tower. Furnishing was still in progress in 1856. A metal screen (snce removed) was designed to incorporate the re-used wooden wainscot. The building also had a listed Lychgate by Peason and th neighbouring school was also by him as was the 'big house'. Up the lane away from the lake was the Rectory, when it became no longer needed as such it was acquired by Miss Dorothy Raikes who re-opened it as the Llangasty Retreat House
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
CPAT Brecknockshire Churches Survey
Llangasty Retreat House Leaflet
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a massive west tower, narrower than the nave and slightly off centre, there is a narrower chancel beyond the nave with an organ chamber and vestry oepning off the chacncel and a south porch off the nave. It is built in an Early-English - Victorian Gothic style predominantly red sandstone slabs with buff coloured sandstone dressing with bathstone windows. The steep roof has stone tiles, grey ceramic ridge tile and cross finials. There is a gargoyle just below the top of the tower. It has been suggested that the jambs of the south door are re-used medieval stonework.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The interior of the church is a magnificent essy in Tracterian design, beginning with the medieval stoup in the porch through the stencilled walls of the nave, through the chancel screen to the marble-shafted triple east lancet windows - all suffused in the glow of richly hued glass. Despite all this the church lacks the Early Victorian fussiness.
The fine nave roof has angular arch-bracing springing from corbels and scissor trusses, in the chancel there are painted scissor rafters. The stencilled texts are below the wall plate level in the nave with more in the chancel which also has an elaborately decorated east wall. The font is octagonal heavily moulded with quatrefoils, an inscription and base of 3 colonettes part marble, there is a wooden pyramidal font cover suspended above.
There are cusped communion rails round an oak altar table with a floor of elaborately patterned Minton tiles; a delicately scrolled wrought iron parclose screen; the pulpit is in oak with blind tracery. The low screen made from pieces of the C16 screen with panels possibly belonging to the loft parapet being unusually carved in the solid in the form of sharply pinted and serrated pinnacles with vinework and quartrefoils above and vine-train below. (This has some similarity with the one in the church in Llanfair Waterdine in Shropshire.)
The stained glass - the east window is probably by Wailes 'Christ with the Virgin and St John ' - 1849 - in vignettes against a brightly coloured pattern. 'Christ Teaching' in the west window is also probably by Wailes. Clayton & Bell crated both the north and south chancel windows 'Baptism' and 'Stilling the Waters'. The same firm also created in 1872 'The nativity' and The Presentation' in the north and southeast windows of the nave.
The oak box organ by Joseph W Walker of London(1850) with decorated pipes with an Iron screen on north side of organ vestry.
There is a wall carving of Mary holding baby Jesus..
A peal of four bells hang on a substantial oak frame in the tower, one bell was cast in 1931 by Gillert & Johnston of Croydon, one by Henry Williams in 1714, on by John Taylor & Co 1878, one by John II Pennington 1674.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.