The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
The name/dedication of the church and its location.
A brief description of the image
The date the image was created.
Details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who uploaded the image.
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llanbister stands beside the A483 Llandrindod Wells to Newtown road some 16 km north northwest of Llandrindod Wells and 24 km south of Newtown. The river Ithon flows south past the village which is set on a spur with valleys north and south. A smaller road the B4356 goes to the east, eventually reaching Presteigne some 26 km away.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
St Cynllo was the premier saint of Northern Radnorshire - the Cantref of Maelienydd - and lived in the C6. At the heart of the cantref the churches of Llanbadarn Fynydd, Llananno, Llanddewi Ystradenni and Llanfihangel Rhydithon were all dependent on it. Gerald of Wales spent a night there in 1176. Llanbister was probably a cell at that time and the the rounded churchyard and Celtic dedication suggest an early foundation. The present church is early C14 with tower added in the C15 or C16. The tower pyramid roof is typical of the Radnorshire Style. Its unusual position at the E end is accounted for by the fact that the church is built on steep ground and the E side was the most practical and aesthetically the most effective solution. The church had a gallery added in 1732 and the church was further altered in 1752, when the bell stage of the tower was remodelled effectively lowering the tower following a lightning strike. Major restoration was undertaken in 1908 by W.D. Caröe and H. Passmore, architects, who rebuilt much of the nave south wall, added the porch and inserted the baptistery. The contractors were Collins & Godfrey of Tewkesbury.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
CPAT Radnorshire Churches Survey
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is built into the hillside with the result that the porch looks rather like a barn when viewed from below. It is built in a mixture of Gothic styles with the nave and chancel forming a single cell and a tower which is unusually situated at the east end due to the lie of the land. There is also a crypt. It is built from the local pennant sandstone with rubble walls - once rendered in lime. The roof is Welsh slate with reconstituted clay ridge tiles without finials and the floors generally flag stones.
Inside the porch there are stone steps to a C14 doorway which has a continuous double chamfered 2-centred arch over a pair of 1908 doors. Reworked masonry is used including a stiff-leaf capital now used as a stoup. To the left of the poch is a boarded crypt door. The 2-stage tower also incorportates reworked masonry - both sets of reworked masonry are believed to have come from Cwmhir Abbey. The tower is broad and square with a diagonal buttress to the east, and angle buttress to the south west and a square turret to the north west. In the south wall is a boarded door with studs and strap hinges of 1908 under an orriginal 4-centred head recessed beneath a 2-centred arch with a relieving arch above. The two-tier belfry has weather boarded sides and 2 light openings beneath a pyramidal roof with weather vane.
The nave and chancel are one, at the east end of the nave the elevation is slightly recessed and there is a 2-centred boarded door in a C14 doorway with continuous chanfer (once a prest's door into the original chancel. The chancel is brought forward with quoins, it has a band of 2 courses of diagonally set stones beneath the eaves to the left of the window. The chancel was probably extended n the C14 when thee extension was slightly stepped out and there are patches of hering bone masonry
CPAT Brecknockshire Churches Survey
A Survey of Ceramic Tiles in the Radnorshire Churches M A V Gill 2005
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Seven internal steps, slate on brick, lead to the main south door. Inside near the west end of the nave is an ashlar baptistry, with iron gtas to stone steps. Unusual in an Anglican Church it allows for full immersion and was installed to appeal to the strong local Baptist tradition -only used three times in C20. There is a medieval font with a plain but asymmetrical octagonal bowl on a short stem and square base. There is a west gallery tpgether with a glazed display case with parts of old church instruments (bassoon and double base used by musicians in the Gallery to accompany singing). The is a holy water stoup of pieces of dressed stone from Abbey Cwmhir set into the walls. It is unlikely (Richard Lamb Quinquennial Inspection August 2010 believes) that there are any further wall paintings concealed behind modern decoration. At the other end of the church in the chancel is a brightly coloured reredos added in 1950, with figure of Christ crucified and two supporting angels. Set before it is an oak altar table with a two part oak communion rail with plain balusters dating from 1820.
All is under an 18 narrow bay roof with arch braces mainly from 1908 but reproducing the earlier roof. In the chancel are 4 tiers of windbraces froming quatrefoils while in the nave at 3 and everythird roof truss has a tie beam.
The organ was acquired from Stow parish Church in 1908 (it is not clear whether this is Stow(e) from just beyond Knighton or Stow-on-the-Wold) There is also a Beethoven piano organ (pedal Pumped)
There is a C12 oak vestment chest.
Three bells supported in an oak frame dated 1752 , one dated 1701 by Richard Philips and the third dated 1810 by John Rudhall, one by William Blews & Sons 1888. A chiming mechanism was installed for the millennium.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.