The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
The name/dedication of the church and its location.
A brief description of the image.
The date the image was created.
Details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who uploaded the image.
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
In a round churchyard in an elevated and picturesque position overlooking the River Dulas, to the north east and above the village of Nantmel. To the north lies the Cefnnantmel escarpment. The village of Nantmel lies beside the A44 London to Aberystwyth road which was once part of the Turnpike road between Presteigne and Aberystwyth. The village is 8 kms east south east of Rhayader. To the south east of the church is an eight-arch aquaduct carrying the water supply pipeline from the Elan Valley to Brimingham.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Within an ancient llan the church – a medieval foundation - the church was rebuilt in 1792, David Thomas of Rhayader (a carpenter by trade) being the architect. The church was heavily restored in 1870 while the Revd Thomas J Thirlwall was the incumbent to plans prepared by John Norton, in neo-Norman style, and little remains of the early structure. The impressive crenelated Tower at the west end of the church is said to date back to C13 - its base goes back only to C17. Traditionally St Cynllo a C5 saint is said to have founded the church in what is clearly a llan settlement. Nantmell appears as 'Ecclesia de Nantymayl' in the Taxatio of 1291 and the first listed incumbent was Richard ap Eynon in 1349. A C13 capital from a pillar, recovered from the vicarage garden, had been fashioned into a stoup and was believed to have come from Cwmhir Abbey. The church gives its name to an Ordovician Mudstone layer known as the St CynlloChurch Formation (Beds), these are silty mudstones with dark burrow mottles
CPAT Radnorshire Churches Survey
CPAT Hstoric Settlement Survey
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
A Survey of Ceramic Tiles in the Radnorshire Churches M A V Gill Radnorshire Society 2005
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
South Wales RIGS Audit Volume 1 - Overview
The BGS Lexicon of Named Rock Units — Result Details Nantmel Mudstones Formation
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church comprises a nave and chancel in one with a west tower, a south porch centrally placed to the nave and a north vestry. The walls are of local random rubble stonework largely shale and sandstone in colours ranging from brown through to grey with some coursing in better finished slabs; with ashlar window surrounds. There is also some Grinshill stone which has been reused from Abbey Cwmhir. The main roof is covered in clay tiles in alternating bands of blue 'fish scale' and red plain tiles, while the tower roof is in natural slate.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The nave and chancel have a 7-bay roof with corbelled trusses incorporating 2 tiers of arched braces. The two bays which constitute the chancel have similar intermendiate trusses. In the south wall are probbaly the remains of a 1792 window blocked in the 1881 restoration with a round arch exposed at the west end. The round tower arch has nook shafts and scalloped capitals, and disc frieze to the arches. In the chancel a reredos composed of blind arcading with shafts and scalloped capitals, chevron and roll-moulded arches, and a tympani with gold-painted daiper patterns. The communion rail has iron uprights with scrolled brackets to a wooden hand rail.
In the nave is a C19 polygonal freestone pulpit has mandorla-shaped panels with symbols including Chi Rho and HIS. Of the lecterns, one is 19th Century, the other one modern, one of which has a carved eagle. The mediaeval stone font is reportedly from Abbey-Cwm-Hir Monastery while a second font, C19 has a square bowl with scalloped underside, the bowl has roundels with IHS, dove, Alpha and Omega and cross, cable mounting to the rim, the round stem is on a square base with foliage moulding to the angles. One font has a lead lined bowl.
The floors to the church are coverd with encaustic tiles made by Maw & Co, the pavement section in the nave being almost identical to that in Llanfihangel Rhydithon.
The stained glass is by Burlison & Grylls installed between 1880 and 1890: The three light east window depicting 'the Crucifixion with Mary and John', 'the Baptism of Christ', 'Christ blessing children', 'the Transfiguration' and 'the raising of Jairus' daughter'; 'The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene'; 'Christ is Anointed at the House of a Pharisee'; 'Christ is Anointed at the House of a Pharisee'; 'Christ with Mary and Martha'; 'The Healing of the Woman with an Issue of Blood'; 'Christ Healing the Lame'; and 'Peter's Commission'.
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.