The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Set one road back from the sea front, about 2 km west southwest of the City Centre, in an area of predominantly Victorian Terraced housing. The church is approached up a steep path from the road. The church would overlook the St Helen's cricket ground to its southeast were it not for fact that a row of houses interveens. This is the cricket ground where Garfield Sobers made a significant mark on cricket history, not least as the man who first achieved the perfect six - six sixes in an over. The 1968 season was nearing its conclusion when Nottinghamshire, captained by Sobers, travelled to St Helen's in Swansea to meet Glamorgan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
35m x 18.5 (115ft x 61ft) gross floor area 420sq m (4,520 sq ft)
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Built in 1888-9 to the design of Thomas Nicholson of Hereford in the Perpendicular style. The church is currently (2016) the centre of Anglo-Catholic, Anglican worship in Swansea.
Buildings of Wales – Glamorgan 2001
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a clerestorial nave and chancel with lean-to side aisle sweeping almost to the east end. A proposed west tower was never built but the nave was extended by one bay in 1931. The building material is random rock-faced sandstone with Bathstone dressings
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The arcades in the nave have octagonal piers with moulded caps and double chamfered arches dying in well above the caps which has been described as a rather awkward arrangement.
There is a painted and gilded oak reredos with an altar set forward. The main furnishings of octagonal pulpit, eagle lectern, kneeler altar rail are all in oak as is the chancel screen made by Geoffrey Lucas in 1914. The stone font is also octagonal with a copper cover. The organ was restored in 2000 by Nicklesons. There is a single bell. In the Lady Chapel there is reredos in dark stained oak with painted illuminated panels and incorporating a brass door receptacle for the Holy Sacrament, the altar here is also in dark stained oak.
The stained glass in the east windows shows the ‘Adoration with many figures’ c1923. In the Lady Chapel: ‘The Annunciation’, ‘The Education of the Virgin’, and ‘The Expulsion of Eve’ all c1930. The west window of the nave shows the saints and is by Celtic Studios 1960 with more windows by the same firm on the north side.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.