The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
On the high ground over looking Mumbles, with the (Oystermouth) village centre to the north east of the church. Mumbles Head marks the western extremity of Swansea Bay while the village of Oystermouth, now a suburb of the City of Swansea, lies to the north east round the bay. Oystermouth is about 7 km west souh west of the Swansea City Centre.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church was probably built on the site of a Roman Villa with fragments of the mosaic pavement incorporated into the church. The present building began as a medieval church first mentioned in 1141. In 1800 a sketch of the building was made by P J de Loutherbough when it consisted of the nave, chancel and west tower with a porch added to it. During the C19 an east and a west gallery were added. In 1915 the north aisle was demolished and a new church was erected by the architect L W Barnard of Cheltenham in which the medieval nave is now the south aisle while the chancel became a new Lady Chapel.
The Buildings of Wales Glamorgan 2001
Cdaw Listing notice
Quinquennial Inpsetion Reports
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The Church is composed of an ‘old church’ on the south side, consisting of a west tower with C19 porch on its North side, and a nave and a lower chancel that are now on the south aisle and Lady Chapel. On the north side is the ‘new church’ of 1915, comprising nave and chancel under a single roof, a shallow north aisle and a low projection against the east end.
Cadw Listed Buildings Report
Quinquennial Inspection Reports
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The Altar table is set forward in the Chancel. There is a freestanding altar in the south aisle, Oak altar with tapestry screen to rear and sides in the Lady Chapel.
The communion rail was added c1929 and has panelled fret-cut balusters and is in-filled with ironwork tracery with a moulded hand rail. The rail is wholly replaced in the centre.
The reredos has scenes depicting the Life of Christ in the style of manuscript illuminations, was added in 1951 and is by Faith Craft Works of St Albans.
The pulpit of Caen stone has an inscription at its base but the date is obscured. A shaped, polygonal stone base has blind Gothic panels to the stem and a moulded cornice. The pulpit itself is of wood and richly detailed, with open ogee arches and diagonally set pinnacles.
A fine Norman (Romanesque) font made from Dundry stone (a yellow oolitic limestone) and is identical to one in Cardiganshire (fonts of this nature usually date from C11 or early C12), it has a square scalloped top on round shaft with an elaborate wooden cover. On the floor near the font is a panel of Roman tesserae
There is an interesting selection of stained glass. 'Christ adored flanked by Saints' Powell's 1930; 'Faith, Hope and Charity';' The Virtues' c1903 T F Curtis, Ward and Hughes London;' Stained glass incorporating the poem Fern Hill by Dylan Thomas' 1989 by Timothy Lewis; 'Stained glass depicting acts of mercy' Joseph Bell of Bristol 1880; 'St Christopher and the Mumbles railway' 1982; 'Stained glass in memory of the lifeboat men lost attempting to rescue the crew of the SS Samtampa' 1977 by Timothy Lewis; 'Christ with lifeboat men below' 1951 to commemorate lifeboat men lost at Port Talbot in 1903.
A tall rood screen by Barnard was erected as a memorial to the 1914-18 war and the names of the war dead are carved in relief on the dado.
There is one bell by John Taylor & Co cast in 1964. (Three bells from a Chilean ship wrecked locally were returned to Santiago Chile c2010)
The clock is by Leeson & Sons 1875
In front of the altar is a grey marble strip, set in the floor, is of Mumbles Marble – not a true marble but a limestone that is capable of taking a polish. It is a local stone to be found in local coastal outcrops, used largely for internal use that is a fire place made from it in the Swansea Mansion House
Churchyard A roughly rectangular with Garden of Remembrance to the South West.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.