The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llangyfelach is an ancient parish on the northern finges of the City of Swansea, east of Morriston and just south of the M4. It is 6km almost due north of the Swansea City Centre largely along the Llangyfelach Road.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
The name/dedication of the church to which the plan refers.
A brief description of the plan. eg. who created it and where it came from.
The date the plan was created.
The details of any copyright are displayed here.
The name of the person who inputted the plan.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church is said to be on one of the earliest Christian sites in Britain, dedicated to St Cyfelach and St David - the earliest foundation is thought to be in C6. There is a Pre Norman flat stone set into north wall and base of a Celtic cross in south wall and there are two Holy Wells and three early Christian monuments within the boundaries. It has been suggested that the church was once a tithe barn and is said to be lower down the hill from the site of the medieval church. Gravediggers are said to have found the remains of the old church in 1869. The look of the church suggests a remodelling (?) 1820 – 40 but another view is that it was built(?) 1850 – 60, certainly the chancel is said to have been added in 1850 by E M Bruce Vaughan. The nave was restored with new windows and porch by W D Caröe in 1913 – 14 and has been described as one of the most inventive of his restorations in South West Wales. The tower is 40 yards (36.6m) up the hill from the church and is one of only three detached towers in Wales (the others being Henllan in Denbighshire and Bronllys in Powys). It is medieval, massive in scale and simple in design lacking visible dateable features, once having a saddleback roof removed in the early C20. In the early C19 the belfry collapsed during a storm and caused considerable damage to the church.
Cadw Listings Notices - Church, and Tower
Buildings of Wales – Glamorgan 2001
Church Quinquennial Inspection Reports
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church consists of a nave, chancel with side chapel and porch with a separate tower. The church is Gothic in style but with a Perpendicular chancel. It has solid rubble stone walls with ashlar dressings (limestone to the chancel, sandstone elsewhere) and a Welsh slated roof with bonnet ridge tiles. The tower has thin coursed rubble stone with dressed stone small quoins. The porch which is a W D Caröe addition of 1913 - 14 is made with pink sandstone
Cadw Listings Notice
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The W D Caröe restoration just before the First World War gives the nave a church like appearance with an Arts and Crafts character. The nave has a broad 11-bay collar-truss roof with king-post and curved angle stuts above, with added arched braces with blind tracery spandrels and tapering wall-posts. There are cambered red sandstone reveals to the windows. The west end is divided off by a panelled timber screen of 9 panels each with 2-light blind tracery, the outer panels on each side are under a divided organ with a gallery between the cases which are plain panelled. Under the gallery is a plaque recording the restoration of the church 1912-14 by W D Caröe architect, and Collins & Godfrey as contractors. A moulded ashlar chancel arch with column shafts provides entry into the chancel which has a 5 - sided rafter roof. There is a broad 4-centred arch on the north side into a funeral chapel.
The find screen of 1914 by W D Caröe is in oak in a late medieval style with 3 bays on each side of a central broad opening , the deep-coverd top extends to the nave side walls. the side bays have ogee crocketted arches with pointed arches with elaborate tracery infills to heads, similar infill is to the two arches over the broad central opening. There is a panelled cove with a vine-trailed carved top cornice with cresting and rood cross above.
An oak carved reredos is presumably by Caröe, it has 3-panels with rich cresting over, between two taller side panels. The centre panel is carved with the Supper at Emmaus. The oak altar has traceried panels to the sides, angle column shafts, scrolls with inscription in cornice, on a big octagonal ashlar base with squat shaft, moulded cornice and chamfered plinth, the communion rails are oak (either late C19 or by Caröe) with pierced quatrefoils in a band under the top rail. The Pulpit is late C19. The font is late C19 octagonal ashlar with 4 carved panels of Ezekiel, Isaiah, Joel and Zachariah, octagonal stem and moulded base.
The Stained glass: an exceptional window to J D Clive Evans (a student at the college drowned 1961) of Swansea College of Art, made by the stained glass department there under Timothy Lewis: 'Christ figure dissolved in complex patterns of leading and subtle colours to suggest water;' 'Good Shepherd and Parable of the Sower' 1947 by Burlison & Grylls, old fashioned good colours; 'Christ and four scenes' late C20 A K Nicholson in memory of Richard Jenkins of Gellyfeddan and children; 'St Dubricius'1916 by Kempe & Co; 'Crucifixion' c1920 Kempe & Co.
Stained Glass in Wales http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/site/235
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.