The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Aisleless single-cell church with S porch and three-stage W tower. Probably C14 with re-fenestration and enlargement in the C15. Constructed of coursed liassic limestone rubble with pink sandstone dressings and random blocks within limestone walls; natural slate roof. The E window is three-light with cusped heads beneath debased, Decorated tracery and hollow-chamfered hoodmould over. Small, staged buttresses to either side. The N side is unlit. The tower is broad with an embattled parapet, plinth and three stringcourses. Five angle buttresses with diminishing sandstone quoins. Canted stair turret to NE corner allows staged buttress to rise from the wallplate level of the nave. Stair turret has a narrow lancet to ground floor level and square-headed slot lights to first and second floors. On the N side of the tower is a narrow, C14 style lancet to the second stage. Beneath the parapet to each face is a two-light louvred belfry window with a quatrefoil in plate tracery to the head, beneath a simple hoodmould. W and E faces of tower have a small oblong light beneath belfry window. The large W window is of three cusped lights with Perpendicular tracery to the head, beneath a simple hoodmould. The W doorway is C15, obtusely pointed and chamfered with complexly moulded jambs. The S side of the nave has a C15 (?) gabled porch at the W end. Outer doorway is obtusely pointed with chamfered jambs and diagonal stops. All the windows on the S side are partially restored C15 windows. To the W of the porch is a two-light, square-headed window with cusped head, glazed spandrels and sunk chamfer. To the E of the porch are two further, two-light windows with a blocked, obtusely pointed priests doorway with plain chamfered, dressed stone jambs. At the far E end is a single cusped window with square-head and glazed spandrels. In the churchyard to the SW of the church is part of a shaft of a medieval cross set within a chamfered base and to its left is a fragment of a wheelcross. To the N of the church is a large C20 memorial in Portland stone in the shape of a cross in memoriam to Lord Rhondda, his wife and daughter. To the SW of the church is a C20 memorial to Robert Pettigrew Finlay and wife Gertrude Enid Finlay with a crocketted finial shaft with modern mounted dish to form a bird-bath taken from the Houses of Parliament .
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
South porch has flagged floor with flanking benches, collared roof. Inner doorway has complexly moulded jambs with thistle stops, modern door. C19 roof with arched principals carried on plain stone corbels, simple boarded ceiling, embattled wallplate. Modern octagonal font. To the N side of the E window is a fine Baroque alabaster memorial in the form of an oval cartouche set within drapery, beneath a gadrooned funerary urn, with flanking cherubs. Set beneath, are two cherub heads above a winged skull with lozenge armorial panel set within scrolled strapwork above. The inscription on the cartouche is no longer legible. To the right hand side of the altar is a C14 piscina with cusped head and flamboyant crocketted top. Early C17 tomb stones to either side of altar. Three C19 funerary plaques to the Salusbury family of Llanwern on the N side of the nave. Tower arch is plain, chamfered and of two orders. C15 plain chamfered doorway to the base of the tower.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.