The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Anglican parish church dedicated to St Mabli, mostly C15. Restored and reseated 1861 by A.M. Wyatt of Monmouth, fittings including font cover, pulpit, stalls, altar and rails by E.M. Bruce Vaughan of Cardiff 1904. ICBS plaque in porch records restorations in 1861 and 1950. Sir Stephen Glynne described the church in 1861, mentioning the E window and cinquefoil but in 1854 the cinquefoil was described as a 'plain circle'. Bradney noted two bells of 1626 and from the parish records that the church was reroofed in 1758 and a churchyard gate made in 1763.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Anglican parish church, rubble stone with sandstone dressings and stone-tiled roofs. W tower, nave, S porch, chancel and C19 N vestry. C19 coping to gables and cross finials in Bath stone. W tower has pink stone quoins, corbelled embattled parapet with corner rainwater spouts. Two-light small flat-headed Perp bell-openings on 3 sides, stone louvres and arched heads to lights, small loop on E side. Small loops at mid height on S and W sides. W front has also 2-light window with flush Y-tracery over plain chamfered pointed door. Nave roof is lower than the crease on the E face of tower. Porch, much restored, has pointed chamfered entry in pink sandstone and small cross-shaped opening on E wall. Timber gates, plastered walls and ceiling, 2 bench seats and stoup in corner by door. C19 outer door and double doors within. Nave S wall is battered at base W of porch, has moulded late medieval timber eaves, and projects at former rood site to right of porch with big Perp 3-light window, deep-set in hollow-moulded flat-headed surround. Nave N has moulded eaves, battered wall base and large Perp flat-headed 3-light window, deep-set in hollow-moulded surround, ogee heads to lights. At left is projection for rood with roof carried over Chancel has moulded timber eaves boards on chamfered stone course. S narrow chamfered pointed door, flat-headed Perp style 3-light window, much renewed and single C19 lancet. E wall C19 restored pair of lancets with cinquefoil roundel over. N side has added lean-to vestry and one chamfered lancet to left.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Plastered walls, W tower arch, single chamfer, with C19 timber infill. Moulded C15 wallplates, panelled segmental pointed roof of 8 x 10 panels with ogee-moulded ribs. S door with C19 ashlar head, S window recessed, splayed to right, straight to left with big corbel. N narrow depressed-arched rood-stair door with stone winding stairs within, the upper door blocked. Single-chamfer chancel arch. Corbel for rood screen each side. Similar chancel roof of 8 x 6 panels, moulded wallplates less deep than those in nave. C19 N vestry door, with triangular-headed recess over, presumably a window head as similar head to lancet to right and also to S lancet and S door. Renewed E window of 2 lancets, pointed recess each side. Fine trefoil headed plastered piscina with double bowl on paired conical supports. Rosette in one bowl, other plain. Bowl font with zigzag frieze , rounded stem with column shafts on round base. Floor slab with foliate cross and initials WL SL TL WL. Timber 8-sided pulpit, possibly C18 altered in C19, the panels framed with rebated moulding. C19 bench pews. Altar rails dated CM Wrdn 1724 with moulded rail and base, four turned posts and turned balusters. By S door plaque to Anne Williams d 1780 signed James Jones, with 3 crude flat urns and winged cherub head beneath. Chancel S crude memorial to William Parry, barrister, 1703, with much scroll work, winged cherub head below. Late C17 and early C18 carved floor slabs to William James d 1731, J. Powell d 1716, Elizabeth Parry d 1716 and Peter Powell of Cefngwyn d 1696. Painted plaque to John Williams d 1767, with winged cherubs upper corners, flowers lower corners. Painted plaque to Thomas Lewis d 1769 and Rev. John Lewis d 1787, signed by J. Brule.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.