The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The present church dates almost entirely from 1846 when it was rebuilt by T H Wyatt and D Brandon. The medieval church was first mentioned in c1348 and was a small building generally similar to the replacement. There is a picture of this in Bradney. The south porch seems to retain some medieval fabric, though not in situ. The previous building had a west porch but no south porch, but certainly the entrance arch to the present south porch appears medieval. There are also some indications of possible older walling, mainly in the chancel, some reused window dressings and the chancel roof is said to be medieval, which could have been replaced on rebuilt walls. The faculty and plan survives from 1845 for the demolition of the old church and the erection of a larger one. This was at the instigation of Thomas Evans, the Rector from 1844-1886. The church has been little changed externally since, apart from the possible addition of the vestry, and its enlargement in 1981.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is constructed of local red/grey sandstone with dressings of coarse yellow sandstone and has Welsh slate roofs. It consists of nave, with gallery at the west end, separate chancel, west bellcote, south porch, and vestry attached to the north side of the nave and chancel. Four bay nave with the south porch in the second bay from the west. The first bay has a 2-light flat topped Perpendicular style window with the central mullion rising to the top of the frame, drip moulds over. The porch is partly of c1500 (but see History) with a 2-centred arch and a dripmould with carved head stops. Pointed arch window on the left return, diagonal corner buttresses, coped gable with cross. To the right of the porch is a 3-light window as before, a stepped buttress, a 2-light window and a stepped diagonal corner buttress. The east gable is coped, with a cross. The north wall is four bays divided by stepped buttresses. The easternmost bay is covered by a projecting vestry with pointed lancet windows. This is more Seddon type and could possibly be a c.1860 addition, it was extended in 1981. The other three bays have 2-light windows as before. Some of the nave windows show indications of reused medieval stonework. The west gable has a 3-light Perpendicular style window with cusped heads and hoodmould with carved head stops. This window is supported by a buttress. Diagonal corner buttresses, coped gable topped by a gabled bellcote with two bell openings. The chancel has two bays separated by a stepped buttress and with diagonal corner buttresses, coped gable with cross. The windows are single pointed lights with trefoil heads, again with some indications of reused stonework. 3-light arched window with dripmould, this is the same as the west window but retains more medieval stonework.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The church is plastered and painted throughout. The nave has a semi-circular waggon roof of six bays with narrow ribs dividing it into three bays across. The chancel roof is said to be medieval. The nave has a west gallery of 1846 supported on two slim cast iron columns. This carries a large organ of 1886 which entirely obscures the west window. The organ was presented to the Rector, the Rev. Thomas Evans, by his wife and children. The furnishings are all Victorian apart from the Norman font with rope moulded bowl on a Victorian base, and the probably C16 oak chest. Two centred chancel arch with Perpendicular style screen erected in memory of Rev. Richard Byrde (died 1906) in 1907. The nave panelling dates from 1930. The coloured nave windows are 1985 by Celtic Studios. The chancel has a Communion rail of 1846 and an altar and reredos in memory of Susanna Durant Sicklemore who died in 1907. The east window is 1903 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne in memory of the Rev. Thomas Evans, rector 1844-1886 who was responsible for rebuilding the church. The chancel panelling dates from 1922. Memorial on south wall of chancel to Col. Henry Bird (b Detroit 1780) who served under Sir J Moore and the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsular War.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.