The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Medieval church mostly C14 reputedly on site of former manor of Gamages formerly dedicated to St Hilary, restored and with north aisle added in 1903 by Seddon and Carter architects of Cardiff.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Nave, N aisle and vestry, S porch, W tower and longer lower chancel. Of roughly dressed and coursed rubblestone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. S porch has gabled stone tiled roof of altered pitch with coped verges and moulded round arched outer doorway with hood mould and plinth courses; inner pointed arched doorway with weathered mouldings; renewed stone and wood benches; coved ceiling renewed 1980's and niche above door temporarily revealed. Nave has raised coped verges with apex cross and stone, swept eaves; former higher roof- line visible on east face of tower; S window has two trefoil headed lights with rectangular hoodmould. Chancel has swept eaves; small roughly trefoil headed S lancet, pointed chamfered arched priest's door, 3 light E window with geometrical tracery; mostly diagonal buttresses with offsets. N aisle has trefoil headed lights. Tower has embattled parapet, 4 corner pinnacles with crockets, plain corbel table with drainage shoots; string course and shallow diagonal buttresses with offsets; attached stairtower to south with conical roof; small rectangular lights N and S, 2 light trefoil headed louvres to ringing chamber; 2 trefoil headed light west window with quatrefoil tracery under hoodmould; W four centred moulded arched doorway with narrow keystone inscribed WL above; shallow diagonal buttress with one offset.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Reroofed and refurbished in 1903. Segmental pointed chancel arch unmoulded but chamfered and stopped. Unusual west facing curved stone staircase to former roodloft through chamfered part remodelled archway, stairs now beginning 2m from ground level. Beside S door small chamfered ogee arched niche over part destroyed stoup and further square niche with C20 door. High tower arch only moulded/chamfered at arch level. Four centred arched doorway to tower stairs adjacent. Chancel has now unusual N door; all chancel openings have unrendered dressings and wide splays. Furnishings: Wall monuments in chancel of 1783 and 1834. Possible traces of wallpainting over chancel and west arch and other traces of coloured limewash; medieval plaster may survive under later dense rendering. Grey painted stone commandment tables with black painted non-incised lettering reset in tower wall now barely legible. Doors may incorporate old metal fittings. One bell and bellframe not seen. Norman font, round bowl on a thick stem slightly splayed at base below moulded string. Stone flag floor to chancel. Some stained glass, some leaded diamond quarries in iron frames.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.