The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church is said to have belonged to the Priory of Usk. There is a suggestion that part of the east end walling of the nave may survive from the small Norman church endowed by Richard de Clare (Strongbow) Lord of Usk who died in 1176, but the earliest datable feature is the remains of the c1300 reredos which would suggest that the chancel, and the surviving lancet windows, are contemporary with it. The possibly rebuilt nave could also be contemporary, but its main window is C15 and this possibly dates with the tower. The south porch also appears C14 which again suggests that the nave is mostly contemporary with the chancel. The chancel was heightened and reroofed in the C15. The complete change in the floor levels of the building in the C19 has done much to obscure its medieval origins. The nave may well have required reroofing after the Great Storm of 1703. There is evidence that the church was closed for a period at this time, and both C15 and C18 carpentry were found in the roof in 1998. John Prichard restored the church in 1873 adding the north aisle and vestry and tidying up the features, especially the east window which was given a Perpendicular head as can be seen by the disturbed stonework; the builder was James Lucas of Usk. The building has been little changed since then apart from extra fittings (see Interior) and has been fully repaired in 1998-9.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is built of random local sandstone rubble with some cut and dressed stones, particularly in the quoins. The roofs are of stone slates, except for the upper parts of both pitches of the main nave roof, which are of interlocking tiles; the tower roof was not seen but is presumably lead. The plan is of a nave with a north aisle, south porch, chancel and west tower. The south wall of the nave is in three bays with the porch projecting from the central one. The left corner has a clasping buttress, then comes a probably C17 two-light window with a dripmould. The porch is steeply gabled with a coping and apex cross. The doorway is moulded and has an ogee drip; chamfered pointed inner arch with a Victorian plank door with strap hinges. The right hand return wall has a single light window. Stone corbel brackets support the gutters. To the right is a 3-light Perpendicular window with cusped heads. Corbel brackets and stone verge to the east gable. The chancel has a lower roofline and is set down. First comes a single light window with a trefoil head, then a priest's door with moulded frame which is largely Victorian, then a 2-light Perpendicular window as before with a dripmould with label stops. Corbel brackets, stone coping to gable, apex cross. The east gable has a 3-light Perpendicular window with ogee heads and a depressed arch, this is a Victorian alteration. It shows signs of reconstruction, particularly in the cill, the walling is otherwise medieval, showing that the present window has a lower cill then the Decorated original. The north return wall has another single light window as before, and then comes the Victorian vestry. This has a 2-light trefoiled window in the east return and a larger one in the north gable with a quatrefoil in the arch above. Plain arched doorway. Coped gable with chimney as finial. The west return of the chancel and the north wall of the nave are mostly covered by the Victorian north aisle. This has three pointed trefoiled light windows and a swept roof. The west end of the nave wall has a small lean-to sexton's store and another clasping buttress. Tall square west tower with a pronounced taper. The tower is plain walling until the bell-stage which has a wide louvred opening on each face apart from the west face to the road where it has been narrowed to a slit. Castellated parapet on corbels above this.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The interior is plastered and painted throughout. It is now almost fully Victorian in character, apart from the plaster, with only rere-arches and a few other features visible from the medieval period. The floor levels have been substantially changed as can easily be seen from the tower arch and the south porch entrance. The north arcade was built to suit the new floor level; three bays of pointed Early English style arches, the chancel arch was widened and an arcade with stiff-leaf capital put into the north wall of the chancel. The furnishings and fittings are all Victorian except for the chancel screen and rood-beam which is a c1920 memorial to WWI, and the reredos which is 1905, by Veall and Sant of Cardiff, the statues carved by Wormleighton of Cardiff. This last is set between tall cusped niches for saints, which are C13. The south nave window glass is dated 1910, by Gerald Moira, while the font is post 1933 in its present form although the bowl is medieval. The font is a Prichard design based on that at Beaulieu Abbey; it was carved by Crisp of Leamington. Panelled wagon roofs to both nave and chancel, both are Victorian. There are some good marble late C18 and early C19 wall monuments. There are two bells dated 1635 and 1677.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.