The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Built by Prichard and Seddon 1859-66 to serve the developing area of Maindee, a suburb of Newport comprising areas of modest terrace housing at river level and grander terraces and detached villas on the hillside. Steeple not extant was designed by J Coates Carter in 1911; photograph of that date shows building without the upper storey of the tower, the building finishing at main roof level. N aisle was added at same date. The church suffered some bomb damage and was more severely damaged by an arsonist in 1949 and subsequently restored. The capitals and chancel arch were designed to have been enriched with foliage moulding which was never carried out and the restoration repeated this unfinished quality.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Large parish church in Geometric Gothic Revival style. Built of coursed Old Red sandstone rubble with Bath-stone dressings creating a decorative polychrome effect, particularly on window surrounds, voussoirs, quoins and with plentiful banding especially on tower; hoodmoulds with stops, some of which reputedly depict local personalities, and a continuous stepped sill-band. Steeply pitched Welsh slate roof with stone corbels and apex crosses. Wide and elaborate W front with tall and wide tower at SE adjoining S aisle with narrow S porch, nave with W porch and N aisle, the 3 main units with separate pitched roofs of almost the same height and width. Chancel not separate from nave extends to E. Tower is 3-storeyed with crocketed pinnacles and gargoyles at each corner; originally intended to support a spire; blind arcading to parapet, tiered buttresses with offsets at corners and polygonal staircase tower at SW, spurred above a deep battered plinth. Tall paired pointed stone latticed lights to the belfry; very narrow paired lights interrupted by a platband to tower chamber on floor below; tall lower storey with W window. W gable end to nave has a very decorative long window comprising paired lights each with trefoil tracery head, separated by a cusped niche, and a large tracery roundel composed of small roundels set within a cusped star. Projecting W porch has a very steep pitched roof, with blind roundel in apex; wide pointed arched moulded entrance with short columns set on flight of steps, flanked by small gabled buttresses set at right angles; cusped doorway. Large NW window has similar cusped roundel tracery; below is a flat roofed embattled entrance porch to N aisle with door to side. S porch is similar to W. S aisle windows have two slender lights and a cusped tracery roundel; a buttress divides off the E bay. SE window similar to NW. The E window using the same motifs is the most elaborate of all: five lights with a complex tracery design of roundels and cinquefoils. Entrance to remodelled N aisle at NE. N windows are similar to S but hard against boundary.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Interior has a steeply pitched boarded roof with scissor trusses, painted side panels and grid ventilators. 4-bay N aisle arcade, 3-bay S, with hoodmoulds to the pointed arches, block corbels, bulbous capitals. The N aisle is now divided off to form an enclosed room with low ceiling, scissor truss open roof visible above; S aisle has a high plain W archway with pyramidal buttress adjacent leading to baptistry and to S entrance, timber grid to ceiling; the font by Seddon in Geometric style has a hexagonal bowl on a short stem with pyramidal panels to plinth; door at SW leads to tower. Chancel arch is wide, high and lightly moulded. Chancel has fine stained glass in E and SE windows, the E window originally 1865 by Chance Brothers and Co restored after bomb damage 1952: elaborate iconography incorporates the Ascension, major scenes from Life of Christ, figures of the Evangelists; SE window of 1873 by Samuel Evans has scenes from the life of St John the Evangelist; other windows have plain diamond quarries. Unusual mosaic floor to chancel and coloured encaustic tiles to sanctuary. Aumbry recess to N and wooden sedilia to S. Organ at N by Norman and Beard 1918. Most of the chancel and sanctuary furnishings are in light wood and date from the 1950s restoration.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.