The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church in origin appears to be Norman, with the south door surviving from the C12, although it may be reset, while the chancel is Early English, of which part of the walls and the base of the east window survive. The base of the tower is also Early English/C13, but the external walling of the church is mostly of the late medieval Perpendicular period, as is the top of the tower, and it was this building which was given a, probably fairly thorough, restoration by J P Seddon in 1864. The church then suffered a serious fire in 1877 which led to immediate repairs and then another restoration in 1881, probably also by Seddon who remained the Diocesan architect. The church was again burnt in 1949 when everything was destroyed except the walls, the tower and the south porch; and it was again restored 1949-55 by G G Pace, leaving the exterior much as it was before, but the interior entirely new and with all the roofs reconstructed except that of the south porch.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is mainly built in local fine-grained red sandstone rubble of a rather purplish colour, though fine grained grey limestone is also used, especially in the west wall of the nave and the tower, which are clearly of different construction from the rest of the building, red tiled roofs. The upper part of most of the walls and around the windows were rebuilt after the 1949 fire in rock faced blocks of distinctive bright red sandstone laid in snecked courses. This masonry was also used for the slight eastward extension of the north porch/vestry and was presumably made deliberately distinctive. The dressings are mainly in Bath limestone and these date from the Victorian restoration, surviving medieval ones are in sandstone and conglomerate. The church consists of nave, separate non-aligned chancel which is wider than the nave, nave aisles and chancel aisles (chapels) on both north and south sides (now the boiler room), a massive tower at the west end of the south aisle with no external turret, north (now clergy vestry) and south porches, and a rood stair to the north of the north aisle. From the south west corner. The tower abuts and completely covers the west gable of the south aisle. The south wall has four bays with an additional two for the chancel chapel, which has a break in the walling but not the roof, the final bay, which is an extension beyond a straight joint, this was done in the C18 as a mortuary chapel and is now the boiler house, is blind. Next to the tower is a 2-light window with cusped heads. Next comes the deeply projecting south porch with a plain pointed arch, coped gable, and blind returns. The C16 waggon roof of this survived both fires, later Norman door of one chevron order and scallop capitals. The aisle then has two 3-light windows with stepped cusped heads and the chapel has a third one, all these windows are Seddon restorations of Perpendicular originals. The east gable of the boiler room has a square-headed doorway with a dripmould, but no window above. The chancel gable has a very large 5-light Perpendicular window with the remains of the Early English triple lancet which preceded it below. This was revealed in the Victorian restoration. The window is a Seddon one, but was reconstructed by Pace, as were all three of the gables at the east end. The chancel roof is more steeply pitched than the others and there is a large stone and brick stack for the boiler room in the valley between it and the south chapel. The north chapel is set back from the line of the chancel gable and the chancel has a plain C13 lancet on the south return. The east gable of the north chapel has a 3-light window as on the south aisle. On the north wall the chapel has one 3-light window with two more to the aisle and then the gabled north porch, similar to the south one but with a plain 4-light window on the east return, this is by Pace and is a part of the conversion of the porch to a vestry. No window to the right of this, nor on the west aisle gable where one has been blocked. This gable was not rebuilt post fire, but that of the nave was, it contains a large 4-light Perpendicular window, again a Pace rebuilding of a Seddon one. Below this is a C16 doorway with a 3-centred arch. Finally the tower which is very massive and has two stages, the first being very tall, above the ridge of the nave. This lower stage is mostly grey stone with red quoins. The north face has a lancet at high level, the south face has three rectangular stair windows and each face has a small pointed window right at the top for the first belfry. A string course supports the slightly diminished upper stage which is almost all red stone. The upper stage is Perpendicular and is probably early C16. It has a 2-light bell opening in the east and west faces and a 3-light one in the north and south faces; these appear to be medieval. Machicolations, and a plain tall parapet which may have been rebuilt at some time, rise above. A tall and extremely impressive tower giving a wide view from its dominant position in the landscape. Good C18 and C19 monuments to the churchyard of which two are individually listed.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The interior was completely reconstructed after the 1949 fire as much of the stonework was too badly calcined to be reusable. The arcades repeat the same pattern as before and are said to to be the previous ones encased in concrete. They have plain square bases rising to sharply pointed arches. All the walls are plastered and painted. All the furnishings are post fire and most are to a co-ordinated design by Pace, especially those in the sanctuary. The organ comes from All Saints Church, Corn Street, Bristol. The east window by Harry J Stammers is a dramatic example of 1950s glass. There are two bells which are dated 1661, although there is sufficient space for a full peal.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.