The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church is dedicated to St Sannan, an Irish saint who died in the year 544. Medieval details in the present building date it from the C13 to C16, while the present tower is possibly C17. The church has 2 naves, of which the S is considerably older, while the N was called in Bradney's time 'capel newydd or the new chapel'. The naves were restored by W G & E Habershon in 1858-9, the chancel was rebuilt by G E Halliday in 1903-1905, and the N vestry is by E P Warren of 1909-1910.
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A church mainly in Tudor-Gothic style comprising 2 parallel naves, chancel continuous with and equal height to the N nave, W tower, S porch and NE vestry. Of rubble sandstone and stone-tile roof. The S nave has square-headed windows with 3 ogee-headed lights either side of the S porch, which has a moulded Tudor-arched surround and boarded doors. The chancel S wall has a pointed doorway to the L, a 3-light square-headed window to the R with hood mould, and a 5-light E window. The nave has two 3-light windows similar to the S side, and a 3-light W window with reticulated tracery and hood mould with head stops. The angle between N nave and tower is enclosed by C19 iron railings in simple Baroque style enclosing gravestones. The 2-stage embattled tower has a integral rectangular NE stair turret and pronounced larger quoins, The bell stage has 2-light square-headed windows with louvres. A string course is between the stages and the lower stage has a small S window. The W doorway has a broad chamfer and 4-centred head, and double boarded doors.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The N nave has a late medieval wagon roof. The naves are separated by an arcade with 4 stout circular piers, with sharply-pointed arches. The E arcade pier has 3 responds in trefoil plan. The tower arch has wave-moulded orders dying into the imposts. To its R is a Tudor doorway to the stair turret. The fittings are mainly of 1910, by Warren, commemorated in a plaque in the chancel. Many windows have late C19 or early C20 stained glass. The E window shows the Crucifixion and is attributed to Herbert W Bryans. The chancel S shows Dorcas, by A.J. Davies of c1925. In the N nave the NW windowdepicts SS Michael, David and Sannan by Kempe of 1896, and 2 windows, of 1917 and 1920, are by Wippell & Co.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.