The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llangynllo is 10km northwest of Llandysul and 28km south of Aberaeron, the church is situated off, to the west, the B4334, by Glebe Farm 1km south-southwest of Coedybryn.
OS Map. 145
AA Route Planner
Cadw Listing Notice
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
There was a church here since about 1810 which was largely replaced by John Middleton & Son of Cheltenham, the builders being Davies & Thomas of Penrhiwllan. The original vestry was converted into an organ chamber in 1897 by E V Collier of Carmarthen. The church exhibits Middleton’s love of ‘excessive. Sculptural detail as seen in his two Cheltenham Churches All Saints and St Stephen
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church of nave, narrower chancel, north organ chamber, south tower with a lean-to vestry was built in the Decorated Gothic style with coursed rubble stone with bath stone dressings all beneath a steep tile roof with crested ridges, coped shouldered gables and cross finials. The tower is short and square with an octagonal south west stair up to the base of the bell chamber, there is an overhanging broach spire with louvered lucarnes.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The walls are an example of the High Victorian times, red brick banded in black brick and bath stone to the nave and stone to the chancel with red and white brick under the eaves. The porch under the tower also has polychrome bricks with an ornate inner shafted door. The segmental pointed window heads are in black brick and bath stone. There is an eight-bay open nave roof of arched-braced collar trusses with wind bracing. Four trusses are carried down to massive stone corbels with floral carving. There is a particularly ornate chancel arch on corbels of three angels, thick marble column shafts with massive foliage caps and a moulded arch banded in grey stone. Two steps up into the chancel which has a boarded panelled seven-sided roof with light stencilling. The walls are ashlar banded with a foliate carved dado rail. The corbels have four small angels and four carved stone musician angels. The organ arch is segmentally pointed and has two pairs of musician angels as corbels. There are encaustic floors by Minton more ornate in the sanctuary. One step leads into the sanctuary with brass rails and a step up, edged in red marble to the altar. The font dated 1869 sits on a massive squat granite shaft with a lush floral band, the octagonal bowl has the evangelist’s symbols in four roundels and carved scenes in the other four. The Caen stone front to the pulpit has marble shafted columns with floral capitals and angel arch-supporters. There is a carving of Christ preaching (Buildings of Wales says that it is St Paul in the centre and smaller statues of saints in the corner arches. The stone steps and brass rail are to the right. In the nave is a canopied statue of Ruth. The Gothic organ was by Vowles of Bristol. The ornate reredos has diapered stone with two alabaster angel roundels, a diapered centre mandorla with a white marble cross ornamented with marble half-spheres and a marble shelf with ballflower ornament. In the nave is a nine 3-branched candelabra. The carvings in the church were done by Boulton of Cheltenham. The stained glass: ‘Receiving the Crown of Life with St George and St Martin’, A L Moore & Son, 1919; ‘Christ in Majesty with Saints and Angels’, John Hardman & Co, designer John Hardman Powell, 1877; ‘The Crucifixion with Virgin Mary, St John, St Mary Magdalene and Longinus’, A L Moore & Son, 1928; ‘Christ the Light of the World’ from ‘Christ the Light of the World with Judith and St Nicholas’ John Hardman & Co,1909. The bell was cast in 1668 by Thomas Roberts.
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.