The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Robeston Wathan lies just to the north of the A40 some 15km east of Haverfordwest and 35km west of Carmarthen and 2.6km northwest of Narberth. The church is on a hilltop site at the centre of the village.
OS Map. 158
AA Route Planner
Cadw Listing Notice
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
This is a ‘decently Victorianised’ medieval church, once attached to Narberth Rectory dominated by a C14 west tower. Restoration of the roof at an estimated cost of £275 was carried out in 1840 under the supervision of Thomas Lewis, an architect from Narberth, then in 1875 the church was rebuilt apart from the tower Full restoration and repair took place in 1875 with the architect Sir Thomas Jackson. The small chancel arch, the box pews and the west gallery were removed. The area of the chancel was doubled, the north transept replaced by a large north aisle and then in 1885 a clock for the tower was donated.
Buildings of Wales –Pembrokeshire 2004
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A fine west tower allows access to the church, into the nave and chancel with a south transept and a large north aisle. The church was built with local, hammer dressed local gritstone, irregularly coursed but round the chancel more evenly laid. The roofs are of slate. A stair turret projects slightly to the north and west of the tower which has a crenelated parapet on a corbel table except round the stair turret. The roof of the tower is hipped with a short ridge and is topped by a weathercock.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Entry in to the church is through the tower at which point the tower has a vaulted roof onto the nave axis and the marks of the former access stairs to the west gallery can be seen. The north aisle is of similar width to the nave and overlaps the chancel. The smaller south transept is now the Lady Chapel. There are two steps up below the chancel arch and two more lead into the sanctuary which is paved with patterned quarry tiles (the chancel floor is of slate). The ceilings throughout the church are canted timber barrel vaults with exposed tie-beams and king-posts. The font which is at the entrance beneath the tower is circular, designed with multiple arches in black marble is C17 and is a rarity. A font by Jackson is in grey local limestone with fish-scale decoration. The oak altar is C17. Dating from 1934 is a reredos in the transept with painted plaster and winged angels flanking the Crucifixion – it was created by Joan Fulleylove (the daughter of the Victorian artist. Jackson created the pepper pot pulpit the upper panels of which have openwork carving. The stained glass: ‘A Fallen Airman Meets the Risen Christ’ c1950; ‘King David’ from King David and Christ and the Good Shepherd, Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd, c192; ‘St Michael and St George’ C E Kempe, c1920: ‘Scenes from the New Testament’, Ward & Hughes, 1876; ‘Three Angelic Figures, James Powell & Sons (Designers Earnest Penwarden and Read, c1897; ‘Christ Blessing the Children Brought By Their Mothers’, 1876; ‘The Prodigal Son’, Ward & Hughes, 1876. There are two bells cast in 1682 by J Stadler.
Buildings of Wales –Pembrokeshire 2004
Cadw Listings Notice
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.