The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The settleme3nt of Llanwenog is clustered round the church and is 39km east of Cardigan along the A475 and 9km southeast ish from Lampeter. From Llanybydder it is 4km northwest along B4338 and then country roads.
OS Map 146
AA Route Planner
Cadw Listing Notice
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
This is the only church dedicated to St Gwenog, and is late C14/C15 in construction. The tower was added by Sir Rhys ap Thomas of Dinefwr and Carew whose arms are to be found on the tower. It was built to commemorate the Battle of Bosworth Field. The church was carefully restored by Roger Clive Powell in 1985 and 1993. The carved woodwork of very high quality was done between 1889 and 1924 by Col Herbert Davies-Evans of Highmead (a local big house). The original designs were by him and his wife Mary. The carving was carried out by Herbert himself assisted by the vicar, the Revd John Morris and the curate Revd Henry Jones and between 1914 and 1919 by a Belgian refugee, Joseph Reubens of Brugges.
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This is a rubble stone church with a slate roof with modern coped gables. A west tower with a nave and chancel, a south east chapel and a northeast organ chamber. The tower was constructed with larger squared stones with battlements and gargoyle faces at the corners of the tower and stair tower. Above the tower plinth is a shield with a carved portcullis, a Tudor rose and the arms of Sir Rhys ap Thomas within a Garter. The south east chapel is separately roofed and has a blank wall which used to support a Crucifixion which was taken inside in 1913.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Entry is through the tower which has a stone pointed vault and flattened arch to the stair door, a Medieval stoup and an oak inner doorcase. The tower arch has been cemented and 4 medieval carved heads have been reset into the sides. There are five broad slate steps down in to the nave. The roof of the nave and chancel is an exceptional late C15 oak plaster-panelled barrel roof in 72 squares with a deep moulded cornice. The walls are plastered which have two late C17/C18 black-lettered panels of the Commandments and part of the Creed in Welsh. The font is C12/C13 with 12 crudely carved mask like faces showing no Christian imagery right around the broad bowl. Probably by A D R Caröe are the altar and rails in front of the C14 reredos, a stone small Crucifixion on an oval panel. The five-bay screen was carved by Joseph Reubens in 1915, it has complex tracery and vaulting, a deep covered cornice with sunburst. The pulpit was the work of Col Davies Evans, it is hexagonal with open pointed traceried panel and quatrefoil short legs. The lectern has a Welsh dragon squatting on a large coronet dated 1912. The pews were made by the state carpenter, William Evans of Bryngwenog, they have open backs and 34 of them have elaborately carved bench-ends, these were carved between 1914 and 19 by Joseph Reubens to designs of Mary Davies-Evans. The stained glass: ‘The Baptism of Christ’; ‘St Gwenog,’ Herbert-Davies Evans, 1895
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.