The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Aberaeron is 25 km south west of Aberystwyth, 37km north east of cardigan along the A487 and 21km north west of Lampeter along the A482. The church is up the hill southwest of the river.
OS Map. 146
AA Route Planner
Cadw Listing Notice
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Edward Haycock built a Gothic style church here for Colonel Gwynne in 1835 which was replaced in a hard Gothic in 1872 by Middleton and Goodman of Cheltenham and then in 1878 a tower, only just attached to the church, was added but without the steeple originally designed. This work was by Middleton and Son. The eastern apse was then replaced with a square ended chancel by Messrs Prothero and Prothero of Cheltenham in 1897/8 as a memorial to the Revd W O Edwards who had been vicar for 30 years from 1867.
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a nave with a slightly lower chancel, a south east chapel and a three story south west tower. The slate roof has ridge cresting and the walls a built from bull nosed rubble stone with freestone dressings and gabled parapets with a band course to the west front. The tower has an openwork parapet and octagonal corner pinnacles with a weathervane on top of an ironwork stand.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The nave roof has an open arched braced roof on foliated corbels with a pointed opening to the south east chapel. The chancel arch has a hood mould and short marble shafts with foliated capitals and stops. The chancel has a boarded and timber roof. The font and pulpit are heavily shafted stone and marble, carved by R Boulton in 1873. Kempe & Co created the timber triptych reredos in 1933. The stained glass: ‘The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John with Saints’, C E Kempe & Co Ltd, 1932; ‘The Four Evangelists’, c1880; ‘St John the Evangelist and Virgin Mary’, Mary Lowndes, 1920; ‘Scenes from the Gospels’, Joseph bell & Son, 1875; ‘David and Asaph’, C E Kempe & Co Ltd, 1925; ‘Christ Washing the Disciples Feet’, G Maile & Son, c1981; ‘St Basil and St Nicholas’, Gerald Edward Roberts Smith, c1943; ‘St Cecilia and St Luke’, Mary Lowndes, 1925. The bell dated from 1883 and was cast by John Taylor & Co, there is also a set of 8 tubular bells made by Latham Harrington.
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.