The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Penrhyncoch lies 10 km east northeast of Aberystwyth initially along the A487 then a local road to the right after Comins Coch. The church is in the centre of the village between the hall and the school.
OS Map 135 145 146
AA Route Planner
Cadw Listing Notice
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Built as a chapel-of-ease to Llanbadarn Fawr in 1879 – 81 by R J Withers, architect, Roderick Williams & Son, builder. The cost was £1094 3s 0d (£1094-15).
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church was built with local rubble stone (from the Lodge Park quarry with dressings of Grinshill stone (from Shropshire). A nave and chancel with a bell tower, a lean-to organ chamber to the north and a vestry. The chancel roof is of plain red tiles with crested ridge tiles and two terracotta crosses while the nave roof is slated. The west bell tower is on the ridge it has a hipped roof,
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
There is a board interior with plastered and painted walls, the nave has a 7-sided collar-rafter roof and the west end has 4 arch-braced breams to carry the bell tower. There is a broad pointed chancel arch with one step up into the chancel where there is a 7-sided rafter roof. On the north side of the chancel is an ashlar double-chamfered segmental- pointed opening for the organ chamber, the organ is by Nicholson &Co from 1921. One step leads into the vestry. The is one step rise into the sanctuary with a further step to the altar. The floors are tiled. The altar rails are oak with 6 uprights and short ringed columns carrying an octagonal top with pierced brackets. The reredos from 1920 was carved from alabaster in a moulded frame with Gothic cresting. The central long panel shows the last Supper while the outer panels have angels. There is a grey marble cornice and octagonal piers with moulded base and caps and a coloured marble shelf with alabaster below. The massive font has a chamfered upper edge, roll mouldings at the top and bottom, the later over capital mouldings above red sandstone on a massive ashlar base. The pulpit has an ashlar canted base with a plinth and incised bead moulding carrying an open timber-canted front top with ring shafts ant angles all between a pair of panels with stone steps up. There is a remarkable lectern dating from 199, probably made by Doulton of Lambeth to a design by George Tinworth. It has a coloured ceramic eagle with its claws on a serpent or dragon. It stands on an ashlar column base with three spur feet pierced with Gothic tracery. The stained glass: ‘The Crucifixion with Adoration of the Shepherd and the Resurrection’, John Hardman & Co, c1900; ‘Christ the good Shepherd and the Light of the World’, John Harman & Co c1906; ‘Christ the Teacher’, Celtic Studios, 1979. There is one bell cast by John Warner & Sons in1889.
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.