The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Cellan lies on the B4343 5km north east of Lampeter and 14 km south west of Tregaron. The church is about 1 km out of the village towards Tregaron on the river side of the road.
OS Map 146
AA Route Planner
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
This medieval church was restored in 1862 and again in 1908-9 by Herbert North of Bangor who gave it a distinctive Arts and Crafts decorative scheme – a cry against false medievalism.
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
Built from rubble stone under a slate roof with a west bellcote, a small medieval nave and chancel with a C17 large south porch (with stone benches). The bellcote has a slate saddleback coping and two bell-openings, smaller to the left, larger to the right.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Whitewashed plastered walls with a pointed chancel arch, there is a blocked recess on the north wall where access to the rood-stairs would have been obtained. Unusually the windows have timber lintels. The roofs are boarded and decorated with Arts & Crafts simple patterns in red and green on white. There is some blue added in the more elaborate ceiling. The three-sided nave roof has alternating trails of vine and rose from wall plate to wall plate, the wall plates have simple red zig-zag patterns of paired ovals. Between the trails there are tall, stylised lilies on sloping sections, while in the flat ceiling there are a few scattered crosses. The five-sided chancel roof has a similar wall plate border with similar vine trails but with scattered crowns beneath. On the ceiling is a much more elaborate panel, rectangular in shape and butting against the east wall, it has a scroll-border on 3 sides with a Gothic lettered inscription in Welsh. The main work is a blue background with intersecting vine trails and a circular panel in red on while of ‘The Lamb of God’ in a plain diamond border. Dating from the 1908-9 restoration is a plain oak screen of three bays with simple thick broadly chamfered posts and beams. There is panelling to the lower part of each side bay with panelled central doors and shallow swept double curves heads to each upper bay. The chancel has two kneelers for altar rails that echo the pattern of the screen heads. By the south door is a lump of conglomerate reset as a stoup. The font is unusual, possibly medieval, it has a square ashlar bowl and two thick moulded bands having a curved profile with a recessed cover. The stained glass: in the east window ‘A coloured border and six shields’, Arts and Crafts thickly streaked glass, 1908. One bell is C18.
Buildings of Wales – Carmarthen and Ceredigion 2006
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Cadw Listings Notice
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.