The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The settlement of Llangoed is 4km north of Beaumaris along the B5109 and then along country roads. It is to the east of the hamlet of Glan-yr-afon so will be found before reaching the hamlet
OS Map 115
AA Route Planner
Cadw Listing Notice.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
There was a church here listed in the Norwich Taxation of 1254 but the oldest identifiable part of the church now is aC12 cross slab reset outside the east door of the north transept. The north transept is C17 but the majority of the building belongs to the 1881 rebuilding by Henry Kennedy of Bangor and the north vestry, the work of Harold Hughes in 1910. It is likely that the church was built on the foundations of the earlier church.
Buildings of Wales –Gwynedd 2009
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This small rural church has a cruciform plan, transept, nave and chancel with a north vestry and a south porch and awest ashlar bellcote. The earlier parts were built with rubble masonry with freestone dressings but Kennedy and Hughes used snecked masonry with freestone and blue brick dressings. The blue bricks of the lancets were made in West Bromwich and are unusual in Kennedy’s work. There is a modern slate roof with stone copings and gable cross finials.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The C19 nave roof is of three bays and there is a single bay in each of the chancel and south transept, the north transept is of two bays. The roof has exposed closely spaced rafters on paired purlins and a chamfered arch with arch braced collared trusses and crown posts which spring from squared corbels. While most of the fittings are contemporary with the rebuilding of the church the pulpit dated 1622 is much restored. It was originally four sided, now hexagonal with each side tapering to the base in three tiers of panels. The posts are carved with floral leaf patterns and the rails with geometric designs, the base is moulded. In one of the upper panels there is an inscription which reads ‘IN THE / NAME OF / IESUS. AMEN’. One step up leads into the chancel with a further step into the sanctuary. The chancel rail is moulded on arch shaped balusters and square newels. The reredos is panelled with a moulded rail. Within the chancel are opposing arched recesses formed with reused C17 window heads. There is a C14 font which has a plain octagonal bowl on a modern shaped pedestal and there is a plain stoup – possibly C15 – reset in the porch. On the east wall there is an C18 tablet bearing a shield of arms, with a stag’s head. The stained glass: ‘St David with Joshua and Gideon’ by Powell & sons (Whitefriars) ltd – the designers were Coakes and Van Daele, 1919; St Luke with St Catherine and St Hugh of Lincoln; in the style of Kempe 1907.
Buildings of Wales –Gwynedd 2009
Cadw Listings Notice
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.