The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Caernarfon is 16km west of Bangor along the A487 and the church is northwest corner of the town walls.
AA Route Planner
OS Map 115
Cadw Listing Notice.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
This is the town church albeit a daughter church to Llanbeblig. It began life as the garrison church with the wall work by the deputy master mason Henry de Ellerton who had obtained a licence for a chantry chapel in 1307. The building occupies a burgage plot in the northwest angle of the town walls such that the corner drum tower of the walls also had space for the residence of a chaplain with access by way of stairs from the vestry. The north and west walls of the chapel are the work of Master James of St George being his massive limestone masonry of 1284-90. These walls were pierced in 1809-11 to create windows when the buttressed south and east walls facing the town were rebuilt, the architect being Benjamin Wyatt agent at the Penrhyn estate.
Buildings of Wales –Gwynedd 2009
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This is an early Decorated church whose exterior was ‘restored’ in C19, to comprise an aisled nave and chancel built with course dressed stone beneath a slate roof- most of the roof of the nave being post C19. It has a bellcote above the postern to the quay
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The interior of the church is unusual for one of such an early date having the nave flanked by aisles and the chancel flanked by chapels. The arcades are all of the same design: square piers set diagonally with 2-centred arches with 2 orders of chamfer, the arches have hood moulds some of which still retain their head stops. The nave has a plastered keeled wagon roof with a flat pitch while the aisles have plainer ceilings. The chancel arch has two orders of chamfer similar to the nave arcades and the chancel has similar arches to the north and south chapels. The chancel has a plastered wagon roof, similar to the nave but on a simple cornice. The roofs date from 1809-11. There is a stone reredos behind the stone altar which incorporates a shelf with foliage cornices and round relief panels with foliage and quatrefoils. There is C19 tooling on the octagonal font. The pulpit is polygonal with open Gothic-traceried panels, it was donated in 1911. The organ which was originally in a west glary dates from 1813.The stained glass: ‘Presentation of Christ at the Temple’, 1911; ‘The Tree of Jesse’, N H J Westlake of London, 1910; ‘The Annunciation, Nativity, Crucifixion and St John Leading the Virgin Mary to his home’, C E Kempe & Co, 1933; ‘Virgin Mary with George and the Dragon and St Alban’, 1910 – this window which is the east window has regimental badges in the tracery lights. One bell dating from 1740 cast by Thomas Bilbie.
Stained Glass in Wales
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.