The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The church in in Llanddwywe about 0,5km north of Talybont bridge to the west the A496 Harlech to Barmouth road, and just south of Ffordd Benar. The station is in Talybont on the Cambrian Coast railway.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
Cadw Listings Notice
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church is probably C13 in origin as the earliest reference to it is in the lay subsidy roll of 1292-3 while it was not mentioned in the Norwich taxation of 1254. Griffith Vaughan had the church rebuilt in 1593 and some of the of timbers survive. In 1615 a special licence was granted by the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Commissory to the Vaughan family to erect their chapel. The screen was erected by William Vaughan in 1620. The south wall of the chancel was rebuilt in 1663. The west end and porch were rebuilt in 1853 and the bellcote added. In 1901-2 further restorations took place and in 1925 Harold Hughes carefully restored the screen and the church was repointed. In 1993 the interior of the chapel was plastered.
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
GAT Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A single cell church with a north chapel, south porch and bellcote on the west gable. Uncoursed local rubble stone was used to build the walls and they sit under a modern slate roof. The gable copings are on shaped kneelers, the east gable has a finial cross. The porch has a shallow pointed arched doorway with a datestone in the apex above which is a shield an initials IHS 1593
Bangor GAT Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
There is an exposed roof of arch braced collared trusses and cusped windbraces, at the east end a panelled canopy has been formed over the altar which has a billeted cornice, ornately carved ribs with geometric patterned motifs and shaped chamfered dividers. The roof of the chapel also has arched braced collared trusses with cusped braces over the collar, down to wall posts on corbels. The chapel is divided from the chancel by a fine early C17 screen. This has richly moulded uprights with slim plain intermediates and transoms, all very close together resting on a carved middle rail. The reredos is of two dates, the upper part Georgian with fielded panels while the lower half appears to have been made from former pews. The rails in front of the chancel have late C17 tall turned balusters. The three-sided altar rail was probably put in this position by C Hodgson Fowler of Durham in 1901. The stained glass: ‘Christ Healing the Sick’ by G Maile & Son; ‘The Baptism of Christ’. The bell was cast in 1909 by john warner and Sons.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.