The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llanbedrog lies astride the A 499 some 6km south west of Pwllheli 4km almost north of Abersoch and 39km southwest of Caernarfon. The village due to its sheltered location is famous for its colourful beach huts.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church is first mentioned in the Norwich taxation of 1254 when the incumbent is recorded. It is dedicated to St Pedrog who was a C6 missionary priest from Ireland who evangelised Wales and Cornwall. The nave is probably C13 while the chancel was a C16 addition. The local Madryn (Love Parry) family provided its patronage from the C17. Repairs were carried out in 1827 and the church was restored by Kennedy in 1865 at the expense of Lady Jones-Parry. A painting in the church dates from the end of the restoration. The tower was added in 1895 at the expense of Sarah E M Williams-Jones Parry, of the Mandryn estate in Llandudwen, in memory of her parents together with a vestry. The vestry was discreetly rebuilt and extended in 1995
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A nave and chancel in one made from uncoursed rubble, the nave was the original building and the joint can be seen from the fact that the longer stones are to the west while to the east the quoins are longer. There are modern sandstone dressings and a modern slate roof between two gables. The south tower is near the west end of the church with the vestry attached, it is built from snecked rubble over 3 undifferentiated stages above a plinth with a crenelated parapet and a pyramidal slate roof topped by a wind vane. Next to the lattice porch there is part of a slate coat of arms of the Love-Parry family.
GAT Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The nave and chancel are in one with stone floors, boarded under the pews and with C19 encaustic floor tiles in the sanctuary which is one step up. The walls are plastered and painted. The chancel roof is of 3 bays with C19 arch-braced collar trusses with knee braces to the wall posts on moulded stone corbels. The nave roof is of five bays similar to the chancel but alternated trusses are without wall posts. A fine C16 oak screen divides the nave and chancel, with three bays on either side of the central wide opening, all with stiff floriated tracery. The moulded middle rail of the screen is in two sections, parted by openwork frieze of quatrefoils, leaves and panels between there are fleurons on the rails, some figuring birds and a poor box.
The font is a retooled Tudor style piece. The sides of the octagonal bowl are carved with sunk lancets, criss-crosses and quatrefoil designs, the under surface has additionally, fleur-de-lys and a Tudor window. There are two stained glass windows by William Aikman from 1918: ‘A Fallen Soldier with Christ and Angels’, ‘St George, St David and the Crown of Life’; three windows of unknown origin from c1865: ‘Scenes from the Life of Christ’, The Good Samaritan and Christ the Good Shepheard’, and Christ Walking on Water rand the Miraculous Draught of Fish; from c1944 ‘The Adoration of the Shepherds’; and by Classical Studios ‘St Pedrog’ 1997. There is also a window composed of C15 fragments of glass reset in c1850.
There is service bell of 1791 of unknown origin while the other six bells were cast by John Taylor & CO, 3 form 1895, one each from 1902,2002 and 2003.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.