The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llannor is situated inland from Pwllheli 4.5 km north northeast along the A497 and then a minor road, as such it is 9 km south east of Nefyn and 32km southwest of Caernarfon.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The C13 church was first mentioned in the Norwich taxation of 1254, the tower was added in the late C14/ earlyC15 and during his evangelistic visit to Lleyn Howell Harris preached here in 1741. The church was extensively restored by Henry Kennedy, Bangor Diocesan Architect in 1855 at a cost of £800. A vestry was added in 1894 and the organ was installed along with the present pews. Now in the porch – it having been used as a gatepost to the churchyard – is an inscribed granite stone from the C6 ‘FIGVLINI FILI/LOCVLITI/HIC IACIT’ Figuluinus, the son of Loculitus lies here.’
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
Cadw Listings Notice
GAT Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A single cell church in a square graveyard with a tall west tower which has a saddleback rook. The church was made from roughly coursed rubble with larger quoin stones beneath a modern slate roof. A south transept was added in 1905 by Harold Hughes. There is also a south porch.
Bangor GAT Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The roof consists of 9 bays constructed withC19 scissor trusses set on wall posts to stone corbels, these leave the rafters exposed. The walls are plastered above the dado rail. There is a large pointed arch formed with roll moulding in sandstone which opens to the vestry and organ chamber. Three steps up lead to the sanctuary where the altar is formed from a polished grey limestone slab set on six cylindrical legs on a green base – the shells are lucid probably installed during the 1855 restoration. The wall panelling incorporates the reredos which has metal panels with the Lord’s Prayer and other painted texts. On sheets of metal. The altar rail is made with close-spaced turned columns carrying a moulded rail. The low octagonal stone font is painted set on a C15-C16? base and stem. The pulpit is C19 with a brass bookshelf and candle holders. The stained glass in the East window ‘The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John’ c1870.
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.