The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Pwllheli is 33km south west of Caernarfon, the town which was devastated during the uprising of Owain Glyndŵr had actually been a town well before the Edwardian conquest of Wales. The town has a commanding position on the northside of cardigan bay and is now both the principal town of the Llŷn peninsula and through its marina a centre for yachting.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church was built in 1886-7 by the London Architect J Oldrid Scott at a cost of about £5,000, it was consecrated on 18 October 1887 at which time plans for a tower were abandoned. It replaced an earlier church built on the same site by the County Surveyor William Thomas in 1832-4 which indeed did have a tower.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church designed in Decorated Gothic has a nave and chancel with full height north and south aisles together with a vestry and south porch. It was built from local rubblestone but with dressings of a pink Runcorn freestone. The roof is of purple slates with green patterned banding and tiled cresting. The north aisle and vestry were added in about 1908.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
A feeling of spaciousness greets the visitor with the open timber roof, rendered walls and tone arcades – 5-bay to the north and 6-bay to the south. The piers are octagonal with capitals more elaborately moulded to the north. The central nave has arch braced trusses with windbraces and stone springers; while the north aisle roof has stop chamfered tie beams and octagonal king posts. The panelled oak reredos has flamboyant tracery carving to a central triptych containing mosaic pictures. There is a Gothic panelled pulpit, the font with a deep heptagonal bowl is perhaps mediaeval coming from the now demolished former parish church of St Deneio, also there is plain octagonal font dated 1889 at the west end of the church. Harvey Thomas painted ‘Baptism of Christ’ in 1979. The stained glass: ’Christ in majesty with Saints & Angels’ by James Powell & Sons, 1896; ‘Christ in the house of Mary and Martha’ by J V Rowlands & Co, undated; ‘St Peter & St John with St David & St Deiniol’ by C E Kemp & Co, 1909; ‘The Crucifixion with St Paul & St Luke’ by C E Kemp & Co, 1909; ‘St Martin with St Asaph & St Cyndeyin’ by C E Kemp & Co, 1922; ‘The Annunciation’ by James Powell & Sons, dated 1913; ‘Musical Angels’ by James Powell & Sons, 1889; ‘The Presentation in the Temple’ by James Powell & Sons, 1890; and ‘St John the Evangelist’ by George F Hunt’ 1929
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.