The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llanfairfechan lies beside the A55 North Wales Expressway 12.5 km west of Conwy and 16km east of Bangor.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church was built at the expense of John Platt of Bryn-y-Neuadd Hall who employed George Shaw an architect from Saddleworth in Lancashire (John Platt’s original home) and consecrated 5th August 1864.A Ritualist incumbent was chosen by the Platt and Luck families to minister to the increasing number of holiday makers and to stem the tide of Nonconformity (there being 8 chapels in the town). The was at this time another church – St Mary’s in the town.
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church was built in the Decorated style from a yellow Lancashire coursed stone: a nave with a lean-to south aisle and a gabled north aisle with a tower in the angle between the nave and south aisle. The slate roof has banded purple and green over the nave and south aisle. The tower is of three stages with the bell stage making the transition to an octagonal spire with alternating broaches and trefoil windows to the faces of the octagon. The tall spire has free stone banding. The chancel was rebuilt in 1892 with a vestry. Below the east window is the relief of a Maltese Cross with C13 floral decorations
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The nave roof is of five-bays supported on alternating octagonal and cylindrical shafts, there are common rafter roofs to the nave and north aisle. The eastern most two bays of the south aisle have an ornate late medieval style roof and, against the wall, canopied wooden stalls. There is a wrought-iron chancel screen dating fro 1894 by Hart, Son, Peard & Co. The chancel roof is ribbed and boarded with painted floral decorations and inscriptions (designed by H L North and architect of Llanfairfechan who also designed in painting on the priest’s and vestry doors about 1912. All the fittings may be described as lavish. The alabaster reredos below the east window is flanked by statues of the evangelists in C15-style niches The stained glass: ‘The adoration od the Magi with the Annunciation to the Virgin Mary and to the Shepherds’; ‘Scenes from the Gospel’, 1872, by John Harman & Co; ‘St Anna teaching the Virgin Mary to read and St Elizabeth teaching John the Baptist to read’, 1905, by C E Kempe; ‘The Presentation in the Temple’, 1905, C E Kempe; ‘The Annunciation’, 1938, F C Eden; ‘The Thee Marys visit the empty tomb’, 1926, Christopher Charles Powell; ‘ Peter’s Commission’ 1900, C E Kempe.
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.