The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Mallwyd lies on the A470 18 km southeast of Dolgellau and 19km north east of Machynlleth/. The church is to be found to the east of the road about a kilometre south of the junction with the A458 for Welshpool.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
OS Map (Landranger No 125)
Cadw Listings Notice
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
This is a medieval church – a chapelry of Llanymawddwy. Its dedication to St Tydecho (also spelt as Tudec or Tudy) who was a C4 Breton saint related to the early Welsh Kings. Having trained at Llanilltud Fawr he died in 560Ad in Isle-de-Croix in Brittany but is said to have been buried on Bardsey Island. The church now contains now fabric earlier than C14. Much of the present church dates from C17 when Revd Dr John Davies was rector from 1604 to 1644. A man with three Oxford degrees he was a noted biblical scholar who assisted Bishop William Morgan in his translation of the Bible into Welsh. The father of the first Archbishop of Wales Rt Revd A G Edwards was the son of an incumbent of this church. Much repair and improvement were carried out by Dr Davies and then minor repairs were carried out in 1764, 1791, and 1853 and a full restoration took place in 1915 by Harold Hughes.
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a wide-bodied nave with a narrower chancel all constructed from the local slate beneath a slate roof with an oak boarded bell tower. The tower has a date of 1640 and now has a pyramidal roof and is topped by a weather vane. The stone porch is a substantial affair encased in a timber-framed structure which has been decorated with a fossil mammoth tusk which was found between the church and the river. The inner roof truss bears the date AD 520.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
Entry from the porch comes to a cross passage with the vestry on the left and doors to the central aisle. The nave roof is of 5-bays with collar beam trusses and straight gently curved cusped raking struts which carry 3 tiers of purlins, the tie beams are probably medieval which were reconstructed as trusses in C17. The rafters are exposed. The chancel roof is of 3 bays with C17 segmented arched trusses with deep collars, the principals extend down the walls to angled corbels embellished with a carved unicorn and lion rampant. The floors are slated throughout with one step up into the sanctuary. The walls are plastered. There is a gallery at the west end and the pews are raked up against it. The bell tower is supported on large jowled timber posts cross braced at each stage. The frame carries three bells dated: 1738 by Abel Rudhall, 1685 by Thomas Roberts, and 1642 by William Clibury. The Font and altar table were gifts in 1734 by the lord of the manor Sir John Mytton of Halston, the font is in black marble, small and octagonal, on a baluster stem. The oak pulpit is C20. The stained glass: ‘Four Evangelists’, 1860; ‘Christ with Children’, 1920s; ‘Trinity Window’, 1860.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.