The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The village of Llandinam is on the A 489 about 13 km west south west of Newtown some 10 km morth east of Llanidloes. It lies in the upper valley of the River Severn. The church sits on a spur of land above the village.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
Martin Hackett in his book ‘Lost Battlefields of Wales suggests that the village was the site of the last stand made between Caratacus and the Romans with the Celts starting the battle on the high ground above the village. A church has been on this site since the C7 when it was dedicated to St Lagneia Lawhir an early C6 Breton Saint. The church was one of the seven clas settlements in Powys being the mother church to both Llanidloes and to Llanwnnog. After the Norman invasion the church kept its abbot into the late C13. The village is recorded in the Norwich taxation of 1254 as ‘Ecclesia de Llandinam’.
In the C18 the church had a nave and aisle roof in one pitch with a wooden arcade between the two and an arcade, George Edward Street extensively restored the church 1864/5 probably on the original foundations. The windows were then recreated in neo-Gothic Style. The bell stage of the tower was renewed and a steep pyramid roof added to the tower. The internal fittings were retained. After the restoration, the church had 326 seats with a further 70 financed by the Incorporated Society for Buildings and Churches. In 1982 1982 the tower and belfry were reinforced.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
Lost Battlefields of Wales Martin Hackett
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The building was constructed with small to medium sized blocks and slabs of a fine grained sandstone with some pebble stone possibly from the Roman fort at Caersws. The C19 restoration used greywacke rubble stones with limestone dressings. The roof is slated with a crested red clayware ridge and gable crosses. The nave and chancel are of similar width with the church orientated NNE/SSE probably dictated by the lie of the land. At the end of the Nave sits the squat tower and in the angle between it and the aisle is the porch. There is a weathercock on the top of the tower roof.
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The church is entered through a porch with a C19 tiled floor, plastered and painted walls beneath a scissor-braced roof of nine trusses. The tower has a ground floor baptistry , a first floor ringing chamber and a timber framed belfry. Again the ground floor has C19 tiles. There are two floor mounted fonts on a central plinth. The heavy planked ceiling is supported by oak joists on stone corbels. The nave is two steps up from the tower – it has a wooden floor beneath the benches, the central aisle is carpeted. The walls are plastered and painted save for the dressed stone work. All is beneath a roof of close-set arch-braced collar trusses with shorter collars near the apex. The trusses spring from the wall plates and offer what is almost a wagon roof. The chancel arch is of two orders springing from corbels with capitals and hoodmould over. Beneath the arch are two steps on to the tiled (with some encaustic tiles) of the chancel. There is raised wooden floors beneath and choir stalls. The walls are similar to the nave and all is beneath a wagon roof of twenty-five panels. Within the church the stained-glass sows: ‘The Crucifixion’ by Clayton and Bell dated 1857, ‘The Resurrection’ 1900, ‘Revelations’ 1900, and St Paul explaining the gospels to Caractacus and ‘Brave the Blessed’’1897.
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.