The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The town is the most westerly part of Montgomeryshire lying at the junction of the A487 45 km west north west and A489 30 km north east of Aberystwyth. The town developed on the lowest bridging point on the River Dovey about 3 km from the only ‘port’ in Montgomeryshire Derwenlas. The church is situated on the north western corner of the town on a low spur overlooking the River Dovey flood plain.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church was said to have been founded in C6 by St Cybi, a native of Cornwall and its position above the flood plain with a curvilinear graveyard support this claim. There was a Medieval church here recorded in the Norwich Taxation as ‘Ecclesia de Machenleyd with a value of 6s 6d. Sometime during the medieval period, the dedication was changed to St Peter. The pre-restoration church had a cruciform plan. A C15 tower was largely rebuilt in 1745 when three bells were installed. In 1810 Fenton visited the church and recorded an ornamental screen with old stalls having misericords, divided the chancel from the nave. He also saw fine carved woodwork over the porch. In 1827 Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury largely rebuilt and enlarged the church providing a new nave onto the existing tower which was heightened with the addition of crenelated parapets and finials. J W Poundley and D Walker removed the north and south galleries and reorganised the chancel. The Marchioness of Londonderry (of Plas Machynlleth) funded restoration work in 1864-5 which extended the chancel into the nave, provided arches over the organ chamber and Lady Chapel, provided new choir stalls and pews and a new decorated ceiling. The aisles were given marble floors and the lower part of the tower converted into a baptistry. Buttresses were added to strengthen the walls. The Londonderry chapel has a pretty balcony front of 1827.
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is a large aisleless nave and chancel with a Lady Chapel to the south and a north organ chamber with a south porch with a two-story vestry and a tower. It has been built from large slabs of shale and slate rocks irregularly coursed. The roof is of slate with decorative ceramic ridge tiles with a large finial to the chancel and ornamental pinnacles on both the porch and vestry opposite. The western tower is of four stages, the base C15, the main stages C18 and battlements from 1827 and the flat roof repaired in 1982.. The windows have been inserted and have yellow sandstone surroiunds.
The nave and chancel are under a single roof and the windows are Victorian with much renovated dressings. The south wall hasa high four-centred Tudor arch with an imitation timber portcullis.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The church is entered through a large open porch which has a flag floor, plastered walls and a vaulted ceiling with four plastered panels separated by moulded ribs. The tower is entered from the nave where a circular baptistry was created in 1894 which has a black and white marble floor. The large open nave is the creation of the C19 restoration when the galleries of the north and south side were removed. The floor is of black and white marble with a woodblock floor beneath the pews. The boarded panel ceiling dates from 1894 and has stencilled Welsh script in Gothic lettering on the covered northern and southern sides. The vestry is on the northside of the church – two stories, the upper one being the Londonderry gallery containing their pews. One step up from the nave leads into the chancel, with a further step into the sanctuary and one more to the altar. The ceiling is more elaborately decorated than that of the nave but the Welsh script continues. There is a decorated slate reredos with gothic painted panels listing the Ten Commandments and on the other side the Lord’s prayer and Creed.
The font is C15, octagonal with traceried and patterned panels, the pulpit and stalls are of 1906 with Arts and Crafts touches. The stained glass: ‘The good wife’ 1908 Mary Lowndes, ‘Scenes from the Bible’ 1886 Ward and Hughes, ‘Jesus Wept with detailed scenes with Christ, Mary Magdalene and Martha’ 1886, ‘Scenes from the Bible’ 1882 Ward and Hughes, ‘Scenes from the Bible’ 1882, Ward & Hughes, ‘The Ascension with scenes from the New Testament’ 1879 Clayton & Bell, ‘Nine Virtues’ 1888, ‘The risen Christ & Apostles with scenes from Acts’ Ward and Hughes, ‘Peter’s Commission’ 1891, ‘Christ at the House of Mary an22,d Martha’ 1927, ‘St Patrick and St Asaph’ undated and ‘St David and St Deinol’ 1880. The church has eight bells; six by James Barwell – two from 1911 and four from 1892, and two by William Evans of 1745.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.