The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llangwnnadl lies on the north side of the Lleyn peninsula some 45 km south east of Caernarfon and 9km north northeast of Aberdaron. The church is on a lane to the north of the B4417. The lane is a minor road going towards Pont Llangwnnadl beside the Pen-y-graig river.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church lies on the pilgrim route along the north coast of the Lleyn Peninsula to Aberdaron and Bardsey Island (The Island of 20,000 saints.) Given the size of the local community it has been speculated that the church was build from the offerings of the pilgrims. It is the resting place of a C6 saint. The present church is Tudor and is made from three aisles starting in the C16 and added to by the northern aisle which has a date inscribed on one of the piers of 1520 while the southern was probably completed by 1530. Built into the wall on the east side is a large granite boulder incised with a circled cross, C6. Henry Harvey restored the church in1850 when the roof, modern windows and a bell-cote were installed. There is a table tomb to Griffith Griffiths who died in 1746 aged 93 having ‘lived under seven sovereigns’.
Cadw Listings Notice
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
GAT Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
Wales - Wynford Vaughan Thomas
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church is extraordinary having three naves, constructed with some large boulders and rubble stone with a C19 slate roof and a west end bell-cote.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
This church has an interior, one of the least disturbed interiors of Caernarfonshire churches. The three naves each has its own roof, each of five bays with four C15 to early C16 arch-braced collar-trusses, repaired by Harvey. The walls were stripped of their plaster in 1943 and are now pointed. There are slab floors with open backed benches. The northern part of the rude dado screen survives with evidence of a roof loft in the beams on the south side. The octagonal gritstone fond dates from C14 and sits on an octagonal shaft and chamfered base decorated with carved sunk relief panels: a mitred head, a crowned head, a fleur-de-lys and other patterns. The northern chapel which is two steps up has a broad Elizabethan roof. The reredos is c1700 with HIS monogramed in one fielded panel. The communion rails are later Cq7, tall, handsome with twisted balusters. There is a Jacobean painting ‘fear God and Honour the King’. The reading desk incorporates Elizabethan panels, there is (a now disused) C18 double decker pulpit. The bell dates from c 1700.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.