The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llandwrog lies to the north west side of the main Caernarfon to Pwllheli road the A499, 9km southwest of Caernarfon and 25km northwest of Pwllheli. The route through the village leads to Dinas Dinlle (large iron age site) beach and to Caernarfon airport.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
OS Map (Landranger No 123)
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church - in an estate village – build for Lord Newborough, and at his expense, by the Diocesan Architect Henry Kennedy between 1858 and 1864 on the site of a more ancient church. The present church, does, however, keep to the dimensions of the earlier church,
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A cruciform building in the Decorated style the church consists of a nave with transepts, a chancel with a south chancel chapel and a north vestry, and a south west tower which has a tall broach spire. There are vaults beneath the west end and the chancel. The stonework is regularly coursed, rock-faced rubble stone with ashlar dressings. The slate roof has elaborately decorated iron g=crosses to the gables. The two-stage tower has a massive iron door with studding and decorated strap-hinges in a pointed doorway on the south side. There is an hexagonal staircase projection with a stone capped roof on the east face,
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
This is a fine, unaltered Victorian interior retaining elements (mostly memorials) from the earlier church. The nave has an arch-braced roof of 5-bays with carved stone corbels, exposed rafters and ashlar pieces. The two western bays for an organ loft with a pipe organ dating from 1863. This supported on a triple-arched open stone screen with clustered shafts and cusped detailing while the balustrade has intersecting and cusped oval patterns. The nave and transepts are lined with stalls, having canopies above, so resembling a collage chapel, or for Lord Newborough a private chapel. There is a disused font in the porch dating from 1703 while at the west end Kennedy’s font stands on four columns. The stone pulpit has a staircase guarded by mastiffs. There is a C16 wooden pulpit probably Flemish with depictions of the crucifixion: nails and Maries and the Centurion beneath the Cross. The reading desk’s steps come from the chancel through a gabled and trefoiled arch-way in the centre of a very fine and highly decorated low wrought-iron screen which is reminiscent of the work of Francis Skidmore of Coventry. The pinnacles sprout ivy, passion flowers, wheat, chestnuts and their leaves. In the east wall of the chancel the stained-glass shows ‘Scenes from the life of Christ’. There are two bels dating from 1860 and cat by G Mears & Co
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Stained Glass in Wales
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.