The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llanengan lies on the south side of the Lleyn Peninsula 13km south west of Pwllheli via Abersoch and16 km east of Aberdaron.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
This church is one of the best-preserved Medieval pilgrimage Churches on the Lleyn Peninsula – the pilgrims making their way along the southern side of Lleyn to Aberdaron and so to Bardsey. The church was especially popular with the pilgrims as the church was dedicated to St Engan (or Einion) believed to be well connected to St Ninian. An earlier church occupied the site which was mentioned in the Norwich taxation of 1254. The earliest parts of the present church date from c1520 with the addition of south porch in 1530 and a west tower in 1534. Up to the restoration took place 1847 by Henry Kennedy the west end of the nave was used as a school, and by Harold Hughes in 1911.
Buildings of Wales – Gwynedd 2009
The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales GAT
Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
A nave with a continuous chancel, a south porch and a west tower (with a latrine against the south wall which is now blocked). Built from roughly coursed rubble with large quoins. The medieval builders used a grey gritstone for their dressings while more modern dressings are in a finer yellow gritstone. The roofs are of modern slate. On the tower is an inscription which in English reads: This tower was built in honour of St Einion, King of Wales, apostle of the Scots in 1534.’
GAT Historic Churches in the Diocese of Bangor
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The church floors are concrete save for there being a brick floor in the porch. The walls are plastered. There are in effect two naves with an arcade of four Tudor arches. The roof is of the arch-braced collar type with quatrefoil and trefoil cuspings above some of the collars. The north and south chancel roofs are similar but probably later. One of the trusses has an inscription of 1847 recording ‘David Williams’ of Caernarfon as the builder for the restoration.
The fittings are of extraordinary quality, there are two screens of fine early Tudor work, one for each chancel with richly moulded continuous posts, head beams exuberantly carved with interlacing vines and waterleaf trail then fleur-de-lys under a covered panelled loft with rosettes and friezes over an interlace, rose and vine under the fretted cresting below the gallery front with panels and moulded top rail. A loft over the south screen has flat ribbed coverings in the Welsh fashion and open panels in the parapet, carved with the instruments of the passion: a coiled snake, a tree, etc. They are said to come from Cymer abbey.
The C17 communion table is in the south aisle, the chancel stalls are C19 and the gothic timber pulpit is 1847. The pews probably of the same date have fleur-de-lys projecting from the bench ends. The eagle lectern stands on a timber openwork twisted column. The font is octagons dating from either the C15 or C16 with quatrefoil panels and rosette s on the shaft.
ate C17 communion table in S aisle. C19 chancel stalls. 1847 gothic timber pulpit or reading-desk. Pews are probably also of 1847 with fleur-de-lys projecting from bench-ends. The Eagle lectern (the eagle has a snake in its talons) in timber on openwork twisted column. Octagonal C15-C16 font with quatrefoil panels and rosettes on shaft. The east window and the tower window were installed in 1979 with leadwork by C Lightfoot of Manchester reusing fragments of early C20 glass by Kempe and Co. There are three bells, one of unknown origin dated 1624 and two cast by Jeffrey Scott of Wigan in 1664
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.