The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The core of the building was probably C12 with a C14 extension recorded in the Norwich Taxation of 1254 as ‘Cap’lla de Llansanfret’ with a value of £2 and in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291 valued at £12. During the C15 much damage was inflicted during the Glyndwr Rebellion. In the C17 the south porch was added and the priest’s door blocked up. In 1727 a north transept was added in Georgian style; a gallery was added in 1830 and further restoration took place in 1866. Considerable repairs and restoration took place in 1893 at a cost of £3000 to the design of John Oldrid Scott of London, the west wall was rebuilt and galleries from the nave and north transept were removed and the chancel re-roofed. The bell turret was repaired and the spire covered in Oak Shingles.
Cadw Listings Notice
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
This is a single chamber church was a north aisle and north transept with a vestry on the northside of the chancel and a south porch. A bell turret with a broach spire rises above the west end of the nave. The building material is largely small to medium blocks of a thinnish grey shale with some pink and’ of 1860 probably by David Evans; mustard yellow sandstones all randomly coursed with red sandstone quoins. There is evidence of some limestone rendering and even the occasional use of brick. The roof is of slate with red-ceramic ridge tiles highly decorated above the chancel. The is a wrought iron cross above the nave and a stone cross finial above the end of the chancel. The square bell turret is a C17 construction rises to an octagonal broach spire topped with a weather vane and with a clock on its south face.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The floor of the porch makes use of early gravestones one of which is dated 1816, the others illegible. The roof is of three arch-braced tie-beam trusses. The door into the date would appear to be C15. Black and red Victorian tiles form the nave floor with woodblock beneath the benches with a roof of three sections, at the western end the former gallery has been roofed over the form a floor for the bell chamber, the rest of the nave has a panelled ceiling of three large square bays, with exposed ribs, decorated bosses and wall plates. The eastern portion of the nave is slightly higher with fifteen panels of irregular size with decorated bosses and moulded cornices, the changes in level are marked by a braced collar truss.
A step up leads in to the chancel where there is a Victorian Screen with varied tracery lights and an English fan ribbed canopy, with another to the sanctuary and one more to the altar. The floors are of black and white marble dating from 1893. The walls are plastered above plain panelled wainscotting. The vaulted ceiling is of twenty decorated panels. There are crenelated wall plates with blind trefoiled panels to the cornice probably late C19.
The communion rails are Georgian with turned balusters. The carved pew dated doors form the C17 and C18 have been reused as a dado. A deep bowled font with a plain rim probably dates from C13. The pulpit if C17 with carved panels and a tester.
The stained glass ‘Christ in Majesty with St Bride and St David’ 1893 by Ward & Hughes; ‘The raising of Lazarus’ 1847 by David Evans; ‘The Crucifixion’; ‘St James and St Paul’ dated 1893 by Ward & Hughes, who also did the east window ‘Christ in Majesty’; ‘Charity’ by A L & E Moore dated 1928; and by C E Moore ‘St John and St Anne’ of 1943.
The are four bells: dated by John Taylor & Co, 1618 by Clibury, 1871 by William Blews & Sons and 1718 by Abraham II Rudhall.
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.