The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
The village of Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant lies some 20 km west south west of Oswestry where the B4580 terminates at a junction with several minor roads, the village is 7km north of Llanfyllin. It lies on the river Rhaeadr a tributary of the river Tanant 2 km away. Here the lower hills of northern Montgomeryshire rise into the Berwyn Mountains to the north and the Pistyll Rhaeadr waterfall, one of the Seven Wonders of Wales, where the river Disgynfa plunges 75m in to a pool and then a further 25m. This is a greater height than the Niagara Falls of North America.
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
The church lies on the southern edge of the village above the River Rhaeadr. The villages marked the boundary between Powys Fadog and Powys Wenwynwyn, two of the early Medieval divisions of Wales. This continues with the arrangements of the old Welsh Counties with the northern part being in Denbighshire and the southern part in Montgomeryshire. Only at the 1996 revision of local government boundaries brought the two civil parishes into one community in Powys. William Morgan was vicar here between 1578 to 1595 and it was in the vicarage that he prepared his translation of the Bible in 1588.
The church has a medieval foundation with a fine sepulchral slab, in medieval times it was a clas settlement possibly founded as early as the C6 and continuing until 1291 as records from Edward I refer to a community of clergy here. It was valued in the Norwich Taxation of 1254 at a value of £2-13s-4d, Gerald Cambrensis suggested that the church may have been burnt by an English expedition in 1265. It would seem most likely that the present church was begun in the C11 or C12 in the precincts of a mother church, it was extended in the C14 or C15.
In more recent times the church dates from the 1850 and then, between 1879 and 1882 there was more remodelling of the chancel, the raising of the floor and the addition of heating with the removal of some pews, the hearse house and the west gallery. This was completed by W H Spaull at a cost of £1778
Cadw Listings Notice
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a long, narrow nave and chancel in one, an attached west tower, short north and south chancel aisles, which give rise to a striking triple-gabled east elevation, and a north porch. It is constructed largely from shale blocks with quoins of pink sandstone ashlar. The roof is slated with blue ceramic ridge tiles with stone cross finials to the east ends of the aisles and chancel. The tower has a sandstone plinth with sandstone quoins and square of segmental headed belfry lights. The parapet has a simple string course and base and C18 obelisk finials.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
One step up from the churchyard leads into porch with a red-tiled floor, plastered and painted walls beneath roof of close-set rafters and ridge purlins. The tower is one step up from the nave again with a red-tiled floor, plastered and painted walls and a wooden boarded ceiling, in the north wall is a door to the tower stairs. The nave has a tiled floor running down the central aisle, once again plastered and painted walls but at the east end of the nave they give way to bays of double three-bay arcades. There is a plastered barrel ceiling painted blue. The arcading extends into the chancel, all have two-centred arches with chamfers interrupted by pyramid stops. All are set on square capitals. Two steps lead into the chancel, with one to the sanctuary with a brass communion rail and a further one to the altar all on encaustic tiles. The western half of the chancel is a continuation of the barrel nave ceiling but this gives way to a Perpendicular wagon roof with ribbed panels and crow’s foot bosses. The north chapel has floors as in the nave with a roof of five bays with braced collars resting on wooden corbels, cusped struts and principles – all Victorian. The south chancel differs in having a modern barrel vault for a roof with 32 ribbed panels.
The reredos incorporates a carving of Leonardo’s Last Supper in high relief and is dated to 1925. The 1794 altar table stands in front of the altar step. A stained glass south window ‘the Good Shepherd’ 1910, by Curtis, Ward & Hughes, while in the north chapel ‘Christ with St Asaph and St Dogfan’ undated by Shrigley & Hunt. There are three bells each cast 1741 by Abel Rudhall.
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.