The name or dedication of the church.
This identifies the church type. Most churches are parish churches which means they serve a specific parish or area. Other types such as chapel, daughter and mission are mostly historic designations as many are now also parish churches. Please note that former churches are no longer used for worhsip and may be in private ownership.
A unique identification number given to every church.
The name of the diocese in which the church is located.
The name of the archdeaconry in which the church is located.
This is the legal name of the parish as given by the Church Commissioners.
Please enter a number
There are 3 levels of listing: Grade I, II* & II. The majority of buildings which are of special interest are Grade II. A much smaller number of particularly important buildings are listed as Grade II*. Buildings of exceptional interest (approx 2% of the total number of listed buildings) are Grade I.
Ancient monuments and archaeological remains of national importance are protected by law. Cadw, the Welsh Government’s historic environment service is responsible for compiling a schedule (list) of these ancient monuments, some of which can be found in churches and churchyards. Examples can include churchyard crosses and the archaeological remains of previous churches or buildings on the site.
There are three National Parks in Wales: Snowdonia, Pembrokeshire Coast and Brecon Beacons. These protect 20 percent of the land in Wales, including precious landscapes, habitats, villages and heritage sites.
There are over 500 conservation areas in Wales. They are designated by local planning authorities for their special architectural and historic interest.
The Buildings at Risk register is managed by Cadw (the Welsh Government’s historic environment service) in order to identify the number and type of listed buildings at risk in Wales.
It is often extremely difficult to determine a precise date of construction for a church as many have been extensively altered over time. Church Heritage Cymru therefore shows a date range within which a church is believed to have been constructed. The dates are as follows: Early Medieval (pre 1066), Medieval (post 1066 to 1540), Post Medieval (1540 to 1837), Victorian/Pre WWI (1837 to 1914) and Modern (post 1914).
This is a very brief summary of the church's main features. More detailed nformation can be found in the other fields and pages (tabs) in this database.
Useful information is displayed here for people wishing to visit the church. This may include things like opening hours, catering & toilet facilities, parking, etc.
If the church has its own website the details will be displayed here.
Any further sources of information for the church will be listed here (eg. links to other historic databases).
This is the Ordnance Survey (OS) reference for the location of the church. Some locations will be approximate as this data is continuously being refined and updated.
This is the name of the Local Authoirity within which the church is located.
This describes how the church relates to its immediate and wider environment, sometimes called its setting. It describes how the church contributes to its landscape or townscape and how these things collectively contribute to the character of the area.
Llandysilio is situated 14 km north of Welshpool on the A483 road some 12 km south of Oswestry. The church is set back from the main road on a gravel terrace overlooking the Vyrnwy Valley
Route Planner Directions, traffic and maps AA
This is a description of the ground plan of the church.
If known, the dimensions (measurements) of the church ground plan will be displayed here.
If the footrprint (area) of the church is known, it will be displayed here.
A description of the history and archaeology of the church and its site.
St Tysilio is said to have been a C7 hermit living in the area. The earliest reference to a church on this site was in the Norwich Taxation of 1254 when is was valued at one mark (13s 4d) when is a was a chapelry dependent on Llandrinio. The old church was demolished and completely rebuilt by G E Street in 1868 for the Revd Waldegrave Brewster in a style marking the transition from Early English to Decorated. The nearby main road was a turnpike but there is no evidence of a nucleated village here, however, some windows in the nearby Church cottage appear to come from the old church. It is listed as a finely composed church with a n ornate interior and excellent furnishings of its period
Buildings of Wales – Powys 2013
CPAT Montgomeryshire Churches Survey
Cadw Listings Notice
A description of the exterior of the church and the main features of the churchyard.
The church has a nave and north aisle, a chancel, organ chamber, vestry and open timber porch. It has been built with local green dolerite (Welshpool Stone) from the Criggion Quarries to the south. The dressings are in a bluff coloured freestone and there is some brown-reddish sandstone also visible. At the end of the north aisle is a circular turret surmounted with a circular top. The roof is of slate with scalloped red ceramic ridge tiles with cross finails at both ends of the nave, and the east end of the chancel.
The circular bell turret has four slit windows lighting the staircase, the belfry is ashlar faced and the roof has a weathercock.
Information about any noteable architects, artists, people, or events associated with the church.
Information about any important features and building fabric.
If known, a list of the church's major building material/s will be displayed here.
Any renewable energy systems the church is using will be listed here.
This section gives a general description of the interior of the church. Further details of any important internal fixtures and fittings will be listed below.
The church is entered through an open timber-framed porch – the entrance arch having a cusped head. The nave has C19 tiles with plastered walls beneath a roof of six bays with arch-braced trusses with cusped heads, exposed rafters and through purlins. The north aisle has floor and walls as in the nave but the roof has close-set scissor-braces with collars. Two steps up lead from the nave into the chancel with further staggered steps to the altar. The floor is of C19 encaustic tiles all beneath a three – bay roof of four arch braced collar trusses with decorated trefoils above the collars.
The reredos is in Caen stone by T Earp with a central ‘Rouge Royal’ marble slab with flanking foliated arches. The circular pulpit has six Gothic panels and the octagonal font has foliated arches – both being in Bath stone. Street designed the wrought iron lectern, altar table and rails, candelabra and stalls. The east window is by Clayton and Bell – designed by Street and dated 1868. The Nave window is by Powell of Blackfriars and dated 1879 and shows ‘Christ walking on the sea’ and is a memorial to young sailors lost in the China Sea. The paired lancet windows of 1868 are by Clayton and Bell ‘Prophets and Saints’. The the north paired lancets are by Curtis Ward-Hughes of London dated 1898 ‘Scenes from the Life of St Tysilio’ and by Trena Cox dated 1972.
In the turret there are three bells, one dated 1729 by Abraham II Rudhall, one dated 1818 by Wasborough Duggan and Co, and one of unknown date and origin.
A National Bell Register - George Dawson's Website - Homestead
Information about the church's important internal fixtures and fittings.
Information about the church's important moveable items and artworks.
A description of the ecology of the churchyard.
Information about the presence of bats in the church building or churchyard.
Records whether the church has been consecrated.
Records whether there have been burials in the churchyard.
Records whether the churchyard is still being used for burials.
Records whether there are any war graves in the churchyard.
Any important churchyard structures will be listed here.
Signifiance levels are set at high, medium and low.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship of the church to its surrounding area and helps place it within its wider landscape context.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the significance of the historic building fabric of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the historic significance of the interior of the church.
Significance defines what is special about a church. This could be architectural, archaeological, historical or liturgical. Here, it describes the relationship between the church and its community.